Tuesday, 29 June 2004

Confessions of a Non-Non-Fiction Reader

I have a confession to make. I don't like reading non-fiction. In fact, I can count with one hand the number of non-fiction books I actually remember reading.

It's not that I have anything AGAINST non-fiction books, it's just that I would rather read a nice fantasy book that allows me to use my imagination, or a nice pulp fiction book that doesn't require any thinking. Most of the time, that is.

BTW, by non-fiction, I mean NOVELS. I also read a substantial number of travel guides, encyclopedias, movie guides and so on, but those don't count. And neither do self-help books (which I ALSO don't read on principle, but that's another rant).

I HAVE tried to read non-fiction books, and a case in point is Primo Levi's If This Is A Man, his memoirs about life in Auschwitz (The Nazi's largest concentration camp) during World War II. THAT was an interesting read (made the more poignant by the fact that I actually VISITED Auschwitz in Poland).

Besides that particular book, I REALLY can't remember a non-fiction book that has really made an impact upon me. Of course, I've not read many to begin with, but my point is, I just can't bring myself to BEGIN a non-fiction novel.

The beginning of a book is very important to me, as it determines whether I will keep reading it or put it down. And most of the non-fiction books I've TRIED to read have been depressingly dull in the beginning, which most of the time, just prompts me to toss it aside and read something else instead, preferably something that starts with lots of fireballs, swordfights and cussing.

But that's just me. Right now, what I could use is a nice list of non-fiction books that WON'T bored me to tears. Any suggestions, anyone?

6 comments:

Liz Tai said...

You can't always try reading Michael Moore's books. Dude, where's my country? could be a nice start. It's funny and I don't think it'll bore ya.

And howcome travel books not non-fiction one? :D

Then there are those the Lord of the RIngs encyclopedias out there ....

Anonymous said...

MC, this is the ugliest blog I've ever lurked! LOL! You know who i am...ekekkeke...

The Visitor said...

LOL i must agree that this is an ugly looking blog! sorry, i am writing this while chuckling, really. non-fiction books? no, try Mike Moore's Stupid White Men first. good funny satire and biting commentary. dont listen to Liz, she'll tell you its not balanced, blah blah blah. what do u expect? it is SATIRE after all, not hard journalism. and read 1421 The Year China Discovered America to make you feel proud about being Asian! haha also read Feel This Book by Janeanne Garofalo and Ben Stiller. and read anything by Dave Barry.

eyeris said...

Ugly Smchugly, its MY blog, and I will KEEP it that way! (Besides, I just lifted a template and changed the colors. damn malas wanna tinker too much with it. hehehe). :D

Thanks for the suggestion guys. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't understand ... non-fiction=novels? But novels are mostly fictional surely. What do you mean????

Posted by Daphne at daphne.blogs.com/books

eyeris said...

I use novels for want of a better word. :) But you get my drift, right????? er... no? er... never mind then. :?