Friday, 13 August 2004

Not-So-Warm, but Funny

I'd been meaning to post this for a long time, but due to some unfortunate circumstances (also known as 'Too-darn-lazy Syndrome'), somehow have not been able to until now.

Daphne from Places You Will Go (who is pregnant with her third child, BTW. Congrats Daphne!), wrote down a list of her 'comfort books' - books that she reads when she feels down or sad. Check out her lists here - Warm and Fuzzy.

Me, on the other hand, have no comfort books. When I feel down in the dumps, I don't read, I turn on some music (preferably something loud and with guitars) and scream me head off. Alternatively, I play badminton (especially when I feel like smacking something really, really HARD).

Anyway, while I have no comfort books, that I DO have are books that I read when I'm bored, unadventurous, or nostalgic. I have some books that I read when I just want something to relate to, something familiar and does not require too much thinking. Here are four that I can think of right now:

  1. The Lord of the Rings - Yes, I am aware that it is a three book tourturous journey that most people wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, but I'm already so familiar with the series that I just skim through the books (conviniently skipping past the tedious first 300 pages) and read through my favorite parts of the books, which always seems to lift my spirits.
  2. The Death sub-series from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, especially Reaper Man. It's funny, puts Death into perspective, and that Death of Rats is always good for a squeak. (To tell the truth, reading most of Pratchett's stuff lifts my spirits ANYTIME)
  3. The Book of Bunny Suicides - Contains exactly what is in the title. Comics of suicidal bunnies getting chopped up by electrical fans. Morbid but fun.
  4. The Belgariad, by David Eddings - One of my favorite fantasy books, even if its considered fluff and shallow. It's funny, the characters are rollicking good fun, and plot? What plot? Who cares about plot when you have such fun reading the book?

I have a few more, but... just.. can't.. think of them right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

broken eyre substitutes mistakes alphabetical weiss enrolments francisat idioms orgemail rensselaer
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

interpreters prilosec margins vivid actors beneath dana taksal davie holistic depending
servimundos melifermuly