Thursday, 14 October 2004

Boowit! Boooooowit! Boowit!

The title doesn't make any sense, I know. I was short on ideas, so I just typed that out on my notepad, and then the idea of writing a post on my favorite nonsensical phrases in books and movies came to me. Here in all the true spirit of nonsense, here is the first few of my favorite gibberish (more to come when I can remember them!):

-------------------------------------------

1) Ba Wit Gra Na Wit Ni Ni Bawng!

From: Transformers: The Movie
What it Means: It's the universal greeting that everyone all across the universe use to extend their friendship! Kup uses it to appease the Sharkticons, and Hot Rod in turn uses it to make friends with Wreck-Gar and his Junkions. My friends and I used to to greet each other with it for weeks.

2.1) Nya ing-siong, mata gaji... shemarengi SHENG!
2.2) Lampungi seeeeeng... shemardi LOONG!

From: Ali Baba Bujang Lapuk
What it means: Instead of the standard "Open/Close Sesame!" password, P. Ramlee's robber chief used this sing-song password instead. The first time I saw this movie, I couldn't stop laughing at the password, and the way P. Ramlee would sort of bend his knees a little at last word of the password. DEFINITELY one of Malaysia's best comedies ever made.
(Note: I'm only repeating what I hear from the movie. Anyone have the proper words for the passwords?)

3) Row-sham-bow

From: South Park (Episode: Mecha Streisand)
What it means: Actually spelled 'Rochambeau' (according to the Urban Dictionary), I'm still really hazy on whether this is an actual WORD or just plain nonsense. A rochambeau contest is where two people take turns kicking each other in the balls, and the first one to give up loses. I first heard it on South Park, where Cartman rochambeaus Pip for the sacred Triangle of Zintar; and in the end, Robert Smith of The Cure rochambeaus Cartman in return.

4) De Doo Doo Doo De Da Da Da

From: The title of a song by The Police
What it means: Who knows? It's catchy though

--------------------------

That's it for today. I'll post more as I recall them. I was tempted to put some elvish phrases from LOTR in the list too, but realise that many people actually consider Elvish to be a REAL language... plus there are too many Elvish phrases in the book to cover anyway, so I'll skip LOTR completely.

In the meantime, anyone have favorite nonsense to share?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Su-su-su-dio (or however it's spelt) - that Phil Collins song.

And what abt The Spice Girl's Wannabe, where they say Zig-a-zig-ah?

From Daphne

Jules @ QS(DW) said...

I can't think of one right now. But I *do* know that if you read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, you can read lots of nonsense words and phrases!