Thursday, 21 October 2004

Movie Review: Super Size Me

Another sidetrack from books. I watched Super Size Me last night, and it is safe to say that I will never willingly buy another French Fry from McDonald's again. Here's my thoughts on the movie, in mini-review format:

-------------------------------------------




Title: Super Size Me

Directed by: Morgan Spurlock
Starring: Morgan Spurlock

What it's all about: For 30 days, Spurlock eats and drinks food that is on the menu of McDonald's only to find out how it would affect his body. At the same time, hitting out at America's fast food chains, which are making the US the fattest nation in the world.

What I liked about it:
  • The way Spurlock structured his film was pretty cool
  • The message was loud and clear
  • The scene where he eats his first Super Size meal and throws up was particularly memorable
  • The part where his girlfriend talks about their sex life after he went on this crazy experiment was pretty funny
What I didn't like about it:
  • Some parts, especially the operation where a patient has his stomach reduced was pretty disgusting, and probably put into the film for pure shock factor.
  • I was disappointed that it didn't have any McDonald's staff coming out to say anything. It would have been so much more interesting
DVD Extras
I haven't seen all the extras, but the one where Spurlock shows how McDonald's food rots and decompose was really enlightening. Makes you wonder what their French Fries are REALLY made of.

Summary:
To tell the truth, I've never been a fan of McDonald's, and I was pretty gleeful to see it take such a beating in this film. The changes in Spurlock's body were particularly sobering, and made me think twice about going to a fast food restaurant again.

Grade: A (Highly recommended, especially for people who eat a lot of fast food)

4 comments:

Erna said...

It's an extreme experiment indeed. But not to the point it makes me want to stop eating McDonalds. McDonalds the world over AREN'T the same. Our McDonald's are slightly healthier than the ones in the states. Slightly.

But he ate supersize meals three times a day. If I had a chocolate bar three times a day for 30 days, I'd look pretty scary as well. It's all about balance...we're natural omnivores, needing variety to get our nutritional requirements. I feel like a milkshake.

The Visitor said...

"McDonalds the world over AREN'T the same. Our McDonald's are slightly healthier than the ones in the states. Slightly"

erm, er, um...how did u arrive at that conclusion?

i interviewed McD not long ago, and they said they maintain the same standards, the same everything the world over.

well, Eyeris, i never liked McD and only ate it when i had no other choice. but after watching this film, i really am not going to step into a McD again. ever.

or any fast food restaurant for that matter.

unless i have no choice.

erm, er, ummmm .... what did i just say? must be the cholesterol affecting my brain.

Anonymous said...

To Erna: I don't think we're talking solely abt how overdosing on McDonald's makes one look. Eating three chocy bars a day might make one look "scary" but it won't f**k up one's liver function.

One of my fave secenes is when the Kraft guy was interviewed. His face when he realised what he'd said was priceless. Did u know that Philip Morris owns Kraft? You can't escape!!!

From Daphne of The Places You Will Go

eyeris said...

Oh well, I always did prefer Burger King anyway. hehe.