Tuesday, 2 November 2004

Book Review: The Opposite of Fate (Tan)

It's TUESDAY, but it feels like a Monday. Yesterday was a holiday, so I spent the day sleeping (as usual) and reading. I finished Amy Tan's The Opposite of Fate, so here's the mini-review, a real short one, since I'm falling asleep again...

----------------------------------



Title: The Opposite of Fate

Author: Amy Tan

Category: Non-fiction

Where to get it: Any bookstore in KL should have it

What it's all about:
It's a book of memoirs comprising stuff that Tan wrote throughout the years - speeches, essays, articles, and even a sonnet. The topics range from her mother, her hardships, human rights issues in China, her inspirations, and even some tips on writing.

What I Liked:
  • Nice variety of stories
  • Doesn't try to stuff her views and opinions down the reader's throat
  • I actually LEARNT something from it
  • Asians will probably relate to it better
  • She even included an essay she wrote when she was 8-years-old. Very interesting when you compare it to her writing now

What I didn't like:

  • A lot of repetitive examples & topics (understandable, since it's a collection of musings over a long period of time)
  • Some 'peculiar' translations of Chinese phrases that I didn't really get

In a nutshell:

Somehow, I've always liked Amy Tan's books, probably because her fiction is easy to read, and I can relate to her stories about Chinese people. This books of musings is an interesting insight to how her mind ticks, her inspirations, her life, and her work.

It's interesting, somewhat inspiring, and actually pretty entertaining at times. Plus, it's not pompous and pretentious like the LAST book of memoirs I read - Michael Chrichton's Travels (which is one of the main reasons I never read another book of memoirs for 6 years).

Reviewer: Eyeris

No comments: