Wednesday, 24 November 2004

Everyone loves you, Danny Brown...

These days, it seems like everyone and their pet goldfish is reading Dan Brown. The Da Vinci Code is the best-selling book of all time, and probably the 'hippest' and most popular book ever. In fact, almost anyone who can recite the alphabet is reading it or has read it.

Except me, it seems.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I DON'T want to read the darn book, but I have a weird tendency NOT to go for things that are VERY, VERY popular until the fuss has died down. I also have a weird habit of trying NOT to 'follow the crowd'. I absolutely refuse to buy a Nokia phone because everyone ELSE has one. I steadfastly avoided reading the Harry Potter books until my sister actually bought the books for me to read three years after Philosopher's Stone was released.

Of course, this idiotic stubbornness does not apply to everything. I'm still hyped about anything LOTR, and I drive a Proton Wira even though every other car on the road is one. And I rushed to watch Titanic when it first came out (Ah, to be young and completely devoid of good taste again).

But I digress. I was talking about Dan Brown.

Everywhere I go, people are talking about The Da Vinci Code. They wax lyrical about the pace, the plot, about how good it is, how fast they finished it, how the story is so brilliant, how it is so un-put-down-able, and how I absolutely HAVE to read it. Some even quote the title endlessly, as if reading the book was a pre-requisite to being considered a 'serious reader'.

Well, here is ONE person who won't be reading it. At least not YET.

My sister brought me Deception Point and Angels & Demons all the way from US, but I have not read them because I want to read The Da Vinci Code first. And I don't have a copy. With all the cashing in on the book going on right now, I'm frankly sick of it.

I saw THREE different covers of the book in Kinokuniya, and even The Da Vinci Code: Special Illustrated Edition! To add to that, check out the entries for 'Da Vinci Code' on Amazon here, and you'll find over 8000 titles, including the following books (besides the ACTUAL book itself):

  • Breaking The Da Vinci Code : Answers to the Questions Everybody's Asking
  • Cracking the Da Vinci Code : The Unauthorized Guide to the Facts
  • Cracking Da Vinci's Code: You've Read the Fiction, Now Read the Facts
  • Da Vinci Code Decoded: The Truth Behind the New York Times #1 Bestseller
  • Depth and Details - A Reader's Guide to Dan Brown's the Da Vinci Code
  • Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code
  • Solving The Da Vinci Code Mystery
  • The Da Vinci Code: Fact or Fiction
  • The Da Vinci Deception
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in The Da Vinci Code
  • The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code: A Challenging Response
  • Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know

It's all getting a little silly, if you ask me. What next? The Idiot's Guide to The Da Vinci Code? Chicken Soup for the Da Vinci Coder? Oooh, oooh, what about The Da Vinci Code Pop-up Book for Kids?

That is why I shall abstain from reading the darn book until EVERYONE else has stopped TALKING about the darn tome. I shall also try NOT to use the book's title here in the blog until I actually start reading it, and shall henceforth refer to it as THAT BOOK.

I know I WILL eventually read the book though. It may be sooner, it may be later, but I WILL read the damn thing. Of course, at this rate, I'll probably only read it just before the movie is released...

No comments: