Monday, 8 November 2004

My lazy eye

It's been a hectic weekend and I'm feeling really lazy right now. I'm not usually a Monday-hating person, but today, all I wanna do is go home and read a couple of pages of The Name of the Rose to help me sleep.

There've been lots of comments about me not finishing TNOTR after so long. To tell the truth, one of the main reasons why I haven't been able to finish it is because it's just one of those books that I WANT to read, but not necessarily hope to ENJOY, but I WANT to read it because I know I SHOULD be reading it.

Confused? Lemme rephrase it in another way, in point form:

1) There are books that are essential reading
2) These 'essential reads' may not suit everyone's taste
3) My taste is slightly weird, so the 'essential reads' may not suit my taste
4) But because these are 'essential reads' I feel that I SHOULD read them, so that I can know better about them
5) I want to know more about these books so I won't sound like a complete doofus when someone starts talking about them
6) Problem is, I don't really enjoy them because they tend to be a little boring (which is an understatement, BTW)
7) However, I keep reading them because I WANT to finish them

It's all a little petty, but for the most part, I always feel that I HAVE to finish a book once I've started on it. Which is why I don't get started on many books even though I have a lot of unread ones. I'm just afraid to start one and find out it's about as interesting as growing grass , or drying paint chips.

Anyway, here are some of the books that I KNOW I should be reading, but just have not gotten around to reading them, for the above mentioned reason:

1) The Illiad & The Odessey (Homer Not-Simpson)
2) Soul Mountain (Gao Xingjian)
3) The Once and Future King (T.H. White)
4) Romance of the Three Kingdoms
5) Unfinished Tales (Tolkien)

And for good measure, some books/series that I SHOULD be reading but have not yet gotten around to due to 'unforseen circumstances'.

1) The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson)
2) The Earthsea series (Ursula K. Le Guin)
3) The Artemis Fowl series (Eoin Colfer)
4) The Darkover books (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
5) The Bromeliad trilogy (Terry Pratchett)

No comments: