Thursday, 16 December 2004

2004 List #1: My Favorite Movies of the Year

I've been in a very LOTR mood these past two days after watching the extended version the other day, but I shall leave my verdict on the movie until I've watched it again this weekend. :-)

In the meantime, I shall kick off my series of year-end lists with a very 'normal' one - My 10 Favorite Movies of the Year.

This are all mostly mainstream movies. Before anyone tries to convince me that the best movies are not the mainstream ones and that I should check out some non-mainstream films also (Visitor, stand up and take a bow), let me just say that I prefer my movies FUN and entertaining more than technically brilliant.

And these are MY personal choices anyway. So if you don't agree, so there! :-D

1) The Incredibles
The best superhero movie of the year, the best animated feature of the year, and definitely the one I enjoyed the most. Pixar can do no wrong in MY book.

2) Spider-man 2
"Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can". Better than the first - it's fun, cool, sweet, cute, and entertaining at the same time. And Doc Ock is the best super-villain I've seen on screen this year.

3) The Village
I've always been a fan of M. Night Shyamalan, and The Village didn't dissapoint me. It is very atmospheric, and the acting is superb. And it doesn't scare you by being scary, but by HINTING how scary it can be. Anticipation and expectation can be scarier than skulls and corpses sometimes.

4) Team America: World Police
Fans of South Park should get the biggest kick out of THIS movie. It's the most offensively hilarious movie of the year. I can't for the life of me figure out why they banned this movie here. It's only got lots of foul language, violent puppet mutilation, Hans Blix getting chewed up by sharks, Kim Jong Ii wanting to take over the world, the Kamasutra with puppets, and Michael Moore getting blown up.

5) The Bourne Supremacy
Nothing like the book, but a damn good action/spy thriller anyway. WAY better than recent Bonds, and an improvement over the first Bourne.

6) Kung Fu Hustle
The best Hong Kong movie I've seen this year, and one of the funniest too. Stephen Chow's movies have progressed a lot since his Wong Jing days.

7) Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Say what you want about this choice, but I liked it. Prisoner of Azkaban also happens to be the HP book I like best, and the movies captures the essence of the book well, down to the thrilling ending. Alfonso Cuaron is a darn good director, and it shows in this movie.

8) Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The perfect movie for geeks. I loved the retro look, the giant robots, the campiness, the dialogue, and the way it didn't take itself too seriously.

9) Shrek 2
Bigger and funnier than the first Shrek (although not as original), it shows that Dreamworks' animated features CAN challenge Pixar if they put their minds to it. Too bad they blew it with Shark Tale. Plus Puss in Boots can kick Catwoman's ass ANYTIME.

10) Ocean's Twelve
It's not as good as Ocean's Eleven, but it's still good, stylish fun. The dialogue was smart-assed, and it was COOL. Plus it has Catherine Zeta-Jones with a nice haircut as well...

The near-misses:


  • I, Robot - Not the perfect adaptation of Asimov, but a darn good try anyway.
  • House of Flying Daggers - Cool movie, lovely visuals, entertaining fights, and Zhang Ziyi. Too bad about the silly ending
  • Kill Bill: Volume 2 - Very cool....
  • The Day After Tomorrow - I don't care what everyone says about the utter ridiculousness of the premise. I enjoyed it, and I think it was quite good for a disaster movie. Plus, writing too many enviromental stories made me feel for the subject.
  • The Terminal - Rather mild for a Spielberg movie, but it's my favorite rom-com of the year (not that I've seen many, mind). Plus it has Catherine Zeta-Jones with a nice haircut... wait a minute, where have I heard that line before?...
  • Hellboy (No, I am NOT calling it Super Sapiens) - I LOVED Ron Perlman's portrayal of the character. Says a lot about how good he was when I had never heard HEARD of the character before the movie, but I still liked it. Too bad the rest of the movie was not as good as Hellboy himself though. Here's hoping the sequel will be better...
  • Collateral - Damn good movie. Great acting by Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx, and great directing by Michael Mann.
  • Phantom of the Opera - I watched this with a friend who'd seen the MUSICAL, and she said it was almost exactly the same. And for someone who has NOT seen the MUSICAL, I enjoyed this show very much.

Update: I updated the near-misses, adding Collateral and Phantom of the Opera, which I jsut saw tonight. :-)


No comments: