Thursday, 30 December 2004

2004 List #2: Favorite Books of the Year

2005 is almost upon us, and many of us would be glad to see the end of it, I think. But lets not dwell on unhappy thoughts. I promised that regular blog transmission shall commence after the last post, and so it shall.

I was supposed to go on a list-posting spree as the year ends, but looks like I only have time left for er... three lists before the New Year.

Anyway, I was wondering what I should list next, and figured that since this is a blog about books (mostly.. I think), so I should just get the most important list off first - my favorite books among those I've read this year.

Before anyone cries foul over any books I may have left out, lemme just say that these are books that I have READ, regardless of when they were published. So those I have not read obviously DO NOT COUNT.

Ok, enough rambling. Here are my Books of the Year. And NO, Dan Brown is NOT in it (although funnily enough, Grisham is).

-----------------------------------------------

1) A Hat Full of Sky (by Terry Pratchett)
No surprises here. A Hat Full of Sky was by far my favorite book because 1) I just couldn't put it down no matter how I tried; 2) The warm fuzzy feeling you feel after reading the book is, well, warm and fuzzy; 3) and it has the Wee Free Men. Any book with a race of little blue men who love fighting always tend to be good. Unless it's an adapation of the Smurfs.

2) Fool's Fate (by Robin Hobb)
This book loses out to A Hat Full of Sky only because it's the third book in a trilogy. If I'd read the entire trilogy in one go this year, it would have been WAAAAY ahead of any other books. Hobb is one of my favorite authors, and this book wraps up a great journey that spanned NINE books. Even though it had more than 800 pages, I devoured it in less than two days.

3) Going Postal (by Terry Pratchett)
Two Pratchett books in the top three? No, I'm not being bias here. It's just that these ARE my favorite books of the year. Going Postal loses out to A Hat Full of Sky on the 'fuzzy feeling' factor, but is still a great romp.

4) Eats, Shoots & Leaves (by Lynne Truss)
A non-fiction book in my top five? Yup, you read it right. This little book on punctuation made me think more about my writing than any other book. No author should have the right to be anal about commas and 'noktah's AND be funny at the same time.

5) The Isles of Glory trilogy (by Glenda Larke)
This entry is here not just because Glenda reads this blog. :-) This trilogy IS pretty cool- nice concepts, interesting characters, and even has a little bit of Malaysia in it. More on the books in a later review.

6) Lionboy: The Chase (By Zizou Corder)
The Lionboy series is better than Harry Potter in so many ways - interesting characters, good pacing, entertaining plot, and an adorable lead character.

7) The Name of the Rose (by Umberto Eco)
Will I never hear the last of this title? This book is in this list by virtue of being the slowest book I've ever finished, yet have nothing bad to say about. Sure, the pace is slow, and yeah, so the history lessons are tedious. But this book is a classic for a reason, and my reason for liking it is because of the lead character, and the ingenious plot.


8) The Last Juror (by John Grisham)
Hey, I like this, ok? It's one of the better books Grisham has come up with in recent years, and it is actually not as light-weight as many of his other books.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there's only eight entries (who said it was gonna be a top TEN anyway?). And yes, Grisham is in there (so sue me).

I'm too sleepy right now to remember other books I may have read over the YEAR, so I've put down the most memorable ones instead. But the top five really ARE my favorite of the year.

So there. Goodnight, and may I continue this list another day. Or not.

No comments: