Monday, 27 December 2004

Disaster Central

First of all, my sympathies to all those who were affected by the earhquake/tsunami disaster on Sunday. And condolences to all those who lost loved ones in the tragedy.

I was (and am still) following the news from Singapore, and got really worried when I heard that the tsunami had hit Penang as well, since my relatives are all there, and my family was there at the moment as well.

What made it even more disturbing was that I had just finished reading a book that ended with a gigantic tdal wave destroying a city. I remember reading that scene, and looking up to see footage of the tidal waves hitting Sri Lanka, Phuket and Penang.

I know that a lot of what we read in books usually mirrors real life, even when it is Science Fiction or Fantasy. After all, authors themselves draw on their own real life experiences sometimes. However, this time, that similarity between fact and fiction was a little too close to home for me.

No comments: