Friday, 17 December 2004

Hazy Explanations and Dastardly Adaptations

Seems that everywhere I look now, there is something on movie adaptations of books. The past few days have been rife with news, blogs and mentions of these adaptations, and I even posted something about it the other day.

Even today, I was engaged in a discussion about which Two Towers Tolkien was referring to in the title of the book. It's still not clear which two, even though Tolkien DID mention in his letters that it would have to be the Tower of Cirith Ungol and Orthanc. But even he was unsure about it, and his explanation is rather hazy (see here). Peter Jackson clearly states it as Barad-dur and Orthanc, but lets not go into the movie version, shall we?

MY theory is that it should be Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul. After all, they WERE twin cities, and even their NAMES just scream TWINS!

Anyone have any other theories abot the mystery of the Two Towers?

Another hot topic that's been going on is the adaptation of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series into a TV miniseries. Liz Tai wrote about it in her blog here, By all accounts, it is not only unfaithful to the books, it also messes around with it too much (The main character is not supposed to be WHITE!). Check out Ursula Le Guin's response to the mini-series here.

Daphne also wrote a list of her favorite book-to-film adaptations in her post The Film of The Book. Can't say I agree with he rviews on LOTR movie vs books, but I agree about her opinion that having read the BOOK first, she can "cling on to my own idea of LOTR and not be haunted forevermore by the image of village idiots when I think of Pippin and Merry, or heaving breasts when I picture Arwen".

Another two of my favorite fantasy books - Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, and C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, are both being adapted into movies in the coming future, along with Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy. AND there is news that Stephen R. Donaldson' Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is ALSO going to be adapted.

I feel very uneasy about these projects. In fact, I feel exactly the same way I did when I first heard that Peter Jackson was adapting LOTR. Wonder if that's a good thing...

Anyway, here are some links on the four projects:

There's also been news saying that Brian Cox is gonna voice Aslan in Narnia. Not good. I always thought Aslan's voice would be more James Earl Jones-like...


No comments: