Friday, 17 December 2004

The Phantom of the Early Morning Soap Opera

Begin early morning transmission:

I'm just gonna get this off my chest first. I watched Phantom of the Opera last night, and I enjoyed it. So THERE!

I used listened to the Phantom soundtrack a lot when I was a kid (I used to be hooked to musicals' music then), and to me, it was always a musical, not a book. In fact, I didn't even KNOW it was a book until a few years back. And I really can't imagine it without the songs. So this is ONE movie that I am glad I never read the book first.

I'd always wanted to watch the musical, and I always lament the time I missed it when it came to Singapore a few years back.

Anyway, the movie was good enough for me, because it was a lavish and flamboyant show that was what I imagined it would be like when I listened to the soundtrack. I was still thinking of the show when I woke up this morning, and now I regret even more that I never caught the musical...

My favorite bits were:

  • The Opening scene when the Chandelier first goes up. The minute that the Phantom's theme went up, my heart soared. That moment would make my list of most memorable moments in a movie this year.
  • I also liked the way the Present day scenes were all fuzzy black and white, while the flashbacks were all in full colour. Nice touch.
  • The Masquerade. Grand and uplifting at the same time, and great music. An incredible set piece.
  • During the songs All I Ask of You and Music of The Night. Music of the Night has always been my favorite Phantom song.
  • Great music. Made me dig up my old Phantom CD and play it on my car CD player this morning.

The disappointing bits were:

  • The ending. Somehow, it seemed a little too forced. Would have probably come off better in the musical.
  • The Cemetery Scene. The director over-edited it. The fight turned out to be nothing more than a series of foot shuffling and swords clashing. Ditto the Chandelier crashing scene.
  • Raoul. Wanted to smack him for being so goody-goody at times.
  • The Phantom was not as commanding as I imagined him to be.

Eyeris' Must-Watch-Again Rating: 3 out of 5

End of early morning (wadya mean its already eleven? That's early for ME!) transmission.

No comments: