Sunday, 5 December 2004

Syiok-Sendiri

a.k.a. Boosting one's ego

I was walking in Amcorp Mall this afternoon, and passed a book-rental store on the third floor where there was a book review of John Grisham's The Last Juror pasted on the front window. I took a closer look, and it runed out to be MY book review that was published in The Star a few months ago.

It took every ounce of my willpower NOT to rush into the store and proudly announce that that is MY review (MINE! ALL MINE!) that was stuck rather prominently with sticky tape on the entrance of the store.

I must say that it's moments like this that make reviewing books fun. I write reviews not just because of the extra money it gives me (although to be frank, it IS a major factor), but becuase if I like a book, I want EVERYONE to read it. In fact, the hardest reviews to write (for me, that is) are those where you don't have much good to say about the book, but you don't want to lambast the book so much either.

Anyway, another nice aftermath of my book-reviewing was when I got a call out of the blue from a Glenda Larke, an Australian fantasy author living in KL, and was invited to the launch and reading of her next book next week. What flattered me wasn't the fact that she invited me, but that during the phone call, she referred to me as 'the writer who reviews the fantasy books' and that she enjoyed my reviews.

Talk about stroking one's ego, eh? Hehe.

I think most writers live for moments like this, when people read your stuff and tell you they like it. That little remark by Larke certainly made my day that day, and I certainly wish I get calls like that all the time. Hehe.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wipe this silly grin off my face.

No comments: