Saturday, 22 January 2005

The Dead Interviewees' Society

Got kinda sidetracked yesterday, listing out movies instead of what I originally had in mind for the next post. Was a little carried away by that 're-discovery' of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (the teaser trailer is out, BTW, go get it!)

Oh, BTW, one of my favorite directors - Peter Jackson (who else??) - is going to be directing the adapatation of one of my favorite NON-fantasy books - Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. Apparently he bought the rights with his own money, and is a fan of the boo. Bodes well, I think.

Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked again. But seeing as how The Lovely Bones is about coping with death as well, I think that sets me up nicely for this next post.

So here we go, a 'sequel' to the Dreaming of a Dream Interview post two days back: My list of people I would like to interview but can't, mostly because they are DEAD.

So, here is my list, which is also known as The Dead Interviewees' Society.

1) J.R.R. Tolkien
No surprises here. I think most fantasy fans would love to have met 'the master', just like musicians would have loved to meet Elvis, Lennon or Cobain.
One Question I would like to ask him: How does Tom Bombadil fit into the picture, eh?

2) Isaac Asimov
In my humble opinion, Asimov is the equivalent of Tolkien in the Science Fiction world. Judging from his books, he seemed like such a paradox, both studious and creative at the same time.
One Question I would like to ask him: Who would win a fight between R. Daneel Olivaw, Marvin the Paranoid Android and R2-D2?

3) Douglas Adams
To me, the Terry Pratchett of the Science Fiction world. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the subsequent five books in the 'Trilogy' were the funniest SF books I'd ever read. All together now - DON'T PANIC!
One Question I would like to ask him: While writing your books, in the name of 'research', did you ever had the need to go out and lie down in front of bulldozers and squelch?

4) Wong Ka Kui
The frontman of Hong Kong rock band Beyond. While I've met and interviewed the other three members of the band that I grew up listening to, I do wish that I'd being able to talk to the man who was the main driving force behind their rise to fame.
One question I would like to ask him: How do you feel about being icons and the music of choice for Ah Bengs all over the world?

5) Bill Shankly
This is the Liverpool FC fan in me speaking. Shankly is the greatest manager in the club's history, and I would have loved it, just loved it to meet him.
One question I would like to ask him: Would YOU have bought El-Hadji "Spit Demon" Diouf?

6) Agatha Christie
You gotta have a realy sharp mind to have come up with all those weird murder theories. And IMHO, Hercule Poirot was a masterclass.
One Question I would like to ask her: If Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple had teamed up, who would have gone mad with frustration first?


Other personalities who are currently resting-in-peace whom I would love to have interviewed are:
  • Frank Herbert (Author of the Dune books)
  • Charles Shulz (creator of Peanuts)
  • Kurt Cobain (Nirvana frontman. Duh)
  • Jesse Owens (African-American athlete who won Olympic gold medals under Hitler's nose)
  • Marlon Brando (The Godfather. Nuff' said)
  • Stanley Kubrick (Filmmaker)

PS: Notice that there are no political figures, world leaders, nor historical figures in the list. That's because I wanted to focus mostly on pop culture icons. Besides, if I DID include those historical people in the list, the list could go on forever...


No comments: