Monday, 21 February 2005

A History of Eyeris' Music Taste

Foreword: The idea for this post was 'borrowed' from Amelia's (Stories from Sonobe) post Of the Soundtrack of My Life, mostly because it's a good post, and I'm too darn lazy to think of something original

I've had different 'music phases' throughout my life, and I really can't say which particular album or singer has influenced me most. I shall thereby separate my musical tastes into different phases of my life and go from there.

The Eighties Impersonation
Since most of my music during this period of time was based on what my parents used to listen to, I kinda got hooked to Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles and even Kenny Rogers during this period.

I could memorise the lyrics to the entire S&G compilation album we had, some of the early Beatles stuff. I could even recite Roger's The Gambler by heart. Even till today, Simon & Garfunkel are still one of my favourite bands of all time.

I also grew up on a staple of 80's music. The period between 1984-1987 was particularly memorable, because we had this recorded video of music videos taped from TV, and I would watch them over and over again, even memorising the moves to Michael Jackson's Beat It and Bad. I even did impersonations.

Yes, it’s embarrassing now, I know. At least I stopped short of learning the Thriller moves. I found it cheesy even though I was only seven at the time.

Thank goodness this period had some good songs too, and the ones I particularly liked at the time were Every Breath You Take (The Police), Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler), and a few others that were on that same recorded videotape. I watched that the Police video so many times I can still remember every detail of it. Well, almost.

The Chinese depression
Towards 1987-1990, in the late years of Primary school and early years of secondary school, my musical tastes began to lean more towards Chinese songs, thanks to several Wang Jie albums my mom kept in her car.

Wang Jie is this Taiwanese singer who had a pretty sad and melancholic (sometimes bordering on depressing) style of singing. I have every single album he released from 1987 to 1996, and could memorise practically every single song.

An overdose on Wang's songs basically accounted for the pretty depressing outlook I had on things during my secondary school days.

I was also hooked to singers from Hong Kong and Taiwan like Jacky Cheung, Beyond, and was clued in on almost every single singer in the Chinese music business. I had a lot of time back then.

I also listened to a bit of Malay music at this time, actually. I liked Iklim's Budi song so much I couldn't stop singing it for weeks. Also Fotograf's Di Alam Fana Cinta. I used to wait for the song to come on the radio, and then record it on an empty cassette. Blur, but effective. :)

The Guitar Obsession
The first modern rock album I bought was Oasis' (What's the Story) Morning Glory, and I couldn't stop listening to it. This was around mid-Nineties, I think, after the days of Vanilla Ice.

BTW, I could memorise Ice Ice Baby by heart too. I don't know whether being able to memorise lyrics is a gift or a curse. In the case of being able to memorise and sing Ice Ice Baby, it's definitely a curse. Ditto U Can't Touch This.

Anyway, back to modern rock. After that Oasis album, I got into other bands, and thanks to pre-commercial-overload Hitz FM, I got back into English songs. At the time, Chinese songs were getting pretty boring anyway.

Today, I usually don't listen to anything without a guitar riff in it. Very predictable, yes, but at least I know what I like.

I also know what I DON'T like, and that's hip-hop. It's just a bit too.. er... hoppish for me.

Ok, that's the history of my music tastes. At least for now. I'm too tired to think. I need another coffee...

Oh, and BTW, here are my favourite albums of all time (will stick with English ones. Chinese albums too hard to translate):

1) Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory
2) Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
3) Green Day - American Idiot
4) Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American
5) Oasis - The Masterplan
6) Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme
7) Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
8) Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
9) Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy Up the Girl
10) Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
11) Michael Jackson - Bad

Will add on more albums when I think of more. For now, am getting hungry, so am going for tea.

No comments: