Wednesday, 23 February 2005

The MPH No-Books-I-Want Sale

I just got back from the MPH Warehouse Pre-Sale, and what a disappointment it was.

The hall itself was pretty big, but the selection of books was really nothing to shout about. Sure, they had 30% discounts on new and popular books in the front shelves, with discounts on everything from Dan Brown to Terry Pratchett; but that is really not what an avid fan of book warehouse sales like me is looking for.

What I was REALLY looking forward to were the budget bins. You know, the ones that have stacks and stacks of books, going for less than RM10 each.

In the last warehouse sale I went to last year (the Times Warehouse Sale in PJ), I spent more than RM300 on almost 30 books. That’s only about RM10 each, and most of these were real gems.

This time around at the MPH sale though, all I could find in those bins were books like:

  • How to Quit Golf
  • Chicken Soup for the Traveler's Soul
  • A Peek into the Lives of the All-Saints
  • An Interview with J.K. Rowling: The 'Genius' Behind Harry Potter' (GENIUS?!?!?! Puh-Leeeeeze)
  • Collin's Laotian-English dictionary
  • The Unofficial Pictorial Guide to Leonardo Di Caprio

Not a decent fiction or fantasy book in sight. I DID manage to find (after much digging around) two Terry Brooks books, a Robin Hobb book in really bad condition, Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic (the first ever Discworld book, BTW), some Puffin classics and one miserable Artemis Fowl book.

Even the toys section was pathetic. At least the last MPH warehouse sale had a whole choke-load of Star Wars toys going for dirt-cheap prices. This one had lots of rather expensive board games, some unwanted dart-board game thingy, a pile of big Mr. Incredible toys, and Leonardo Di Caprio in Titanic jigsaw puzzles.

The CD section was slightly better, though not by much. I found one Supergrass album and a whole pile of Beatles: Anthology sets among the Boyz singles, Kriss Kross compilations and soundtracks to movies like Universal Soldier: The Return and The Waterboy.

There WERE some pretty decent graphic novels on sale though, more than any warehouse sale I've been to. There was Batman: Hush, Neil Gaiman's Sandman books, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellblazer, and a few more fairly decent comics. But these were in the nice 30% shelves in front of the hall along with the shiny Dan Browns.

My pathetic personal 'haul' for the two whole hours I spent there says it all, I think. I got:

  • Batman: Hush graphic novel
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel
  • A tattered copy of The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco) for RM3.00
  • Three rolls of cellophane tape.

All for a grand total of RM81.10, 90% of which was the cost of the graphic novels alone. For that amount of money, I could have gotten a whole basket-load of books at the Times Warehouse sale last year...

Sigh... I hope Times does another one this year too...

No comments: