Tuesday, 1 February 2005

My fantasy phase 'To-Read' list

I'm in the mood for another fantasy reading phase, and just as soon as I finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, I'll get to Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea quartet (in fact, I'm already halfway through A Wizard of Earthsea, mostly because it's smaller and easier to carry around than Jonathan Strange).

After that, maybe I'll get to Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart (which was sent to me by Amelia of Stories from Sonobe. Thanks Amelia!).

Or maybe I should get to Daphne's Uncle stories, since that should be easier to finish. And finish Artemis Fowl at the same time.

Then again, maybe I should get to The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson) which I've had for years, and have yet to read.

I'd really like to stay in this 'fantasy phase' this time around (at least for the next 4-5 books), because I'm not feeling up to reading anything particularly heavy (in content, I mean) or intellectual. Yes, I can be very shallow at times.

That's why Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy was taken off my 'What I'm Reading' list in the sidebar, because I don't feel like reading something that's too grounded in the 'real world' (if you can even refer to Ludlum's highly exaggerated spy-thrillers as 'reality').

For now, no guns, spies, car chases, political conspiracies and invincible assassins please. I want dragons, knights, 'duh'-like heroes, talking dogs, singing swords, floating castles, scantily-clad heroines with big swords, and magic, glorious magic!

I'm also planning to read more of the books that I have been putting off for a long time now, so that when I review OTHER books and compare them to these, I'll actually KNOW what I'm talking about. :-)

Here's my 'To-Read' list of five books I shall read next, as of today, excluding Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and Earthsea, which I am already reading.
  • Uncle Stories (J.P. Martin)
  • The Light Ages (Ian R. MacLeod)
  • Artemis Fowl (Eion Colfer)
  • Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey)
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson)

No comments: