Friday, 4 February 2005

My Morning in Mixed Hell

When I entered my office this morning, I instantly knew something was not right.

My office is usually so quiet, so peaceful (well, most of the time). However, something was wrong today. There was this incessant and irritating sound in the background, a combination of music and constant jabbering that was incredibly distracting and annoying.

Then it hit me - it was piped-in music, and it was MixFM.

It drove me half-mad.

At first, I just tried to ignore the noise coming from the speaker DIRECTLY above my head. It worked for five minutes, since at the time, they were playing Keane's Somewhere Only We Know, so it was still tolerable.

Then came the first batch of commercials. And I remembered exactly why I don't listen to local radio stations anymore. Not only are the commercials breaks annoying and long, MixFM took it upon themselves to remind us over and over about how "We listen to YOU, and we made MixFM BETTER".

There are a number of reasons why I have so many CDs in my car, and one of it is that I absolutely hate listening to the local radio stations, mostly because of the commercials.

Anyway, back to my morning in hell.

Daphne had tried calling the tech people to get them to turn it off, or at least turn down the volume, to no avail. After the first batch of commercials, I still gamely carried on TRYING to work, even sitting through a Gareth Gates song, a few more repeats of the Chicken Rice Shop ads and some particularly annoying callers.

Then came the last straw.

A familiar 'tick-tock-tick-tock' opening intro, and the opening line: "One, Two, Three Four Five..."

GAAAA! Lou Bega!!!! GAAAA!!!

I screamed (not too loud lar), stood up, went out of the office, went to my car, and got my Oasis CD, went back inside, borrowed a pair of earphones, and blasted the CD at full blast to drown out the MixFM sound.

I turned my music on so loud that I gave instructions to everyone that if they wanted to talk to me, they'd have to get my attention by waving first.

Thankfully, when I came back from lunch, Daphne had managed to get the music turned off, and the sound of silence reigned again...

Now, if I could only get hold of the fella who thought it would be a good idea to force everyone to listen to Lou Bega...

No comments: