Friday, 25 March 2005

The Bangkok Chronicles: Sidewalk Noodles

At night in Bangkok, the narrow walkways beside the streets are packed with people walking home from work, or sitting on tables beside the sidewalk, eating a bowl of mee or porridge.

It is one thing to go to a mamak stall in Malaysia and sit in the middle of the road, but it’s a totally different experience eating at a roadside stall in Bangkok.

Sitting next to the divider fence RIGHT next to the road, buses pulled up just inches away from me, and people in the bus would stare at me eating. Tuk-tuks and mini-buses with black smoke coming out of their exhaust whizzed pass me, and people on the sidewalk had to maneuver sideways to avoid my table.

The beef noodles I had on the first day was actually pretty good, but if I get food poisoning the next day, I’m gonna be blaming the vans, tuk-tuks and buses who spit their black smoke into my mee.

Ok, am off to catch the bus and get to work now. Until till later then...

No comments: