Tuesday, 29 March 2005

No to Bloom on My Books!

Don't you just hate it when a book has this sentence pasted all over its front cover:

NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!

or

SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!


It's as if the movie somehow is GREATER than the book, and that without a movie, the book would be nothing.

RIIIIGHT.

When a book is good enough to 'inspire' a movie (and I use the word 'inspire' very loosely), it seldom needs that tagline to encourage people to buy it. Look at The Da Vinci Code. word of mouth spread like wildfire, and it hasn't left the MPH and Kinokuniya bestseller lists for more than a year now. And the book doesn't even have a movie. Yet.

However, I was in Kinokuniya today, and it seemed as though almost every other book I saw in the General Fiction section had that sentence all over it. Everything from Grisham, to Ludlum and Amy Tan had that sentence. Even the children's section was not spared, infecting Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dr. Seuss, and a few others.

Even the fantasy section was not spared. Tolkien's books were the worse hit, with that bloody tagline pasted all over covers of most of the copies of Lord of the Rings. What was even more insulting was that some of the covers were replaced by the MOVIE POSTER.

GAAAAAA!

While some may argue that a lot of people only HEARD of the LOTR books because of the movie (and that the popularity of the books and fantasy in general soared because of the movie), I somehow hate it when I see bloody Orlando 'Nancing elf' Bloom (who isn't even a MAJOR character in the books, just a supporting one) on the covers of my beloved LOTR books, shoving placing all the wonderful John Howe and Alan Lee-illustrated covers aside.

It's.... unnatural.

The only one I didn't object to was the one with Eowyn on the cover, but then again, I still felt a slight pang of displeasure.

Just a little bit.

Anyway, I'm now starting to dread the influx of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Narnia books with an picture of an actor staring out at me. And I'm REALLY dreading the numerous pictures of Tom Hanks staring at me from bookshelves all over the world when The Da Vinci Code movie comes out.

PS... Speaking of movies and books, I just heard that they are working on a movie adaptation for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Well, good luck with that. It's probably gonna be like the books - brilliant beginning, so-so second quarter, deadly boring and irrelevant third, and unfinished finale...

PSS... oh, and BTW, I'm not counting comic book adaptations. Those are different creatures altogether.

No comments: