Wednesday, 23 March 2005

Of Tomyam and Cute Thai Girls

Thailand has always been a fascinating country to me. Its got its own unique culture, its own unique taste in food, and the people always seem so happy and friendly (at least the ones I'VE met were).

Plus Thai girls are cute (although sometimes you also have to make sure that they ARE girls).

I've been to Thailand twice in my life (not counting impromptu visits at Bukit Kayu Hitam), and I liked both times. Food was cheap, people were nice, there were lots of pirated goods, and the girls were cute (Did I mention that already? Oh.)

I also managed to sneak over the border at Bukit Kayu Hitam without a passport once, though not on purpose. The toilet at the border happened to be just next to a Thai marketplace, so I just popped over for a short visit.

The Thai language is a peculiar one. My ex-coursemates in uni used to take Thai language classes in UPM, and they showed me their notes once. The pages looked like thy were being invaded by snails.

Snail-like writing aside, Thai is actually a very nice language to listen to. It's kinda melodic, and the Thais speak it in a very sing-song way thats quite fun to listen to. I had a Siamese/Malaysian friend once, and it was always interesting to hear her speak to her family on the phone. Oh, and I used to know how to swear in Thai as well, but I've forgotten it now. Darn.

Thailand's also had some interesting movies lately. Movies like Beautiful Boxer, The Iron Ladies and Ong-Bak have made headway outside of Thailand. Haven't seen any of them yet, but I'd like to. :-)

Why my sudden obsession with Thailand, you say? Well, that's because I'm going to Bangkok on assignment tomorrow morning and gonna be there until next Monday. Hehe.

Oh, and I doubt I'll be updating this blog while I'm there, so unless I manage to find a place to go online while I'm in Bangkok, have a good week ahead. :-)

No comments: