Tuesday, 8 March 2005

Things Could Be Worse: Lessons from Pop Culture

Amid all that tension and frustrations I've been going through lately, I went and forgot one of my most trusted philosophies of life:

No matter what happens, things could always be worse.

The gist of it is, no matter how bad things may be, things could always be worse, and there is a silver lining to everything. I've preached this to friends time and again, to the extent that one got so sick of the line that she wouldn't talk to me for days.

I can't believe it actually took an Oasis song of all things to help me remember this:


Coz all of the stars are fading away
Just try not to worry you'll see them someday
Take what you need and be on your way
And stop crying your heart out...

But then again, my life has always been riddled with lessons from unlikely sources. Books, music, movies, comics, everything.

One lesson I learnt when I was young, was to always keep my eyes open and observe your surroundings. I didn't do it very well at the time, mind you, but maybe because I didn't really take it seriously. I did learn it from a comic book after all.

It's always funny how some people think that watching too much TV and movies or listening to too much rock music can 'damage our morals'. I learnt many life lessons from TV and movies.

I learnt emotion, honor and trust, and that was just from watching the Transformers. I learnt that no one is indestructible, after watching Optimus Prime die in the Transformers Movie.

I learnt language from music. I learnt to READ Cantonese and old Chinese symbols from memorizing lyrics of Cantopop songs. I learnt how to rhyme (though I still can't do it for nuts), and I learnt to express myself through words.

From books, I learnt that curiousity kills the cat (and in the case of Agatha Christie books, the story). I learnt that the world is BIG, and it's fun to be in.

Yes, I've learnt a lot of lessons from a lot of weird places. Now maybe it's time to continue that education.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to figure out what the silver lining is.

No comments: