Thursday, 28 April 2005

Eyeris the Weak-Minded and the Times Warehouse Sale!

If this post sounds familiar, it's because I'd written something similar to this post HERE and HERE.

Yup, I went on another book-buying frenzy at the Times Warehouse Sale again, and the damges for this first round was... jeng jeng jeng.... RM185.00!!!!

Including the RM15 i used to renew my Times Privilege Card membership, I spent a total of RM200 there on 20 books in 2 hours. And the only thing that stopped me from staying longer or buying more books was that I only had RM208.00 in my wallet. Sigh...

But never fear, the Sale will be here till May 8th...

The selection of books itself was great. I couldn't finish browsing ALL the tables of books in two hours, but what I saw was really good. The books cost mostly around RM8-15 each - RM8 for most paperbacks and RM15 for trade-paperbacks and hardbacks.

There were the usual suspects like Grishams, Clancys, Sheldons, Ludlum, Le Carre lying around, as well as a lot of Ian Rankins, Salman Rushdie, VS. Naipaul and Vikram Seth as well. I also saw Jefferey Euginedes' Middlesex and Virgin Suicides, Rani Manicka, Yan Mattel's Life of Pi (costing only RM8! I was kicking myself because I bought it in Bangkok for freaking RM20!) and Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum (which I hope to grab when I go again tomorrow). And heck, even that Who Moved My Cheese book was there (All those who bought that dumb book for RM40, kick yourselves now).

Fantasy-wise, a chokeload of Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books, Terry Pratchett's The New Discworld Companion, Thief of Time (Hardback) & Night Watch (Paperback) Douglas Adams' Salmon of Doubt.

I even saw two copies of the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith hardback novels for RM15! I think it was because they were tattered.

I also saw Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell going for (get this) RM15!!!!! Good thing MY copy was free, or my legs would be REALLY sore from kicking myself). There were also a lot of Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials books, and some of his children's books as well.

I DID kick myself when I saw Terry Brooks' The Word and The Void Omnibus for RM15 though. I bought it for freaking RM60 last time!!!!

Anyway, enough gushing. Here's a list of what I got (off the top of my head):

  1. Midnight's Children (Salman Rushdie)
  2. Grimus (Salman Rushdie)
  3. Fury (Salman Rushdie)
  4. Step Across This Line (Salman Rushdie)
  5. A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth)
  6. Dance Dance Dance (Harold Murakami)
  7. Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
  8. Serving Crazy with Curry (Amulya Malladi)
  9. The Rule of Four (Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason)
  10. The Runes of the Earth (Stephen R. Donaldson)
  11. Sophie's World (Jostein Gaarder)
  12. The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios (Yann Martel)
  13. The Salmon of Doubt (Douglas Adams)
  14. Kushiel's Chosen (Jacqueline Carey)
  15. The New Discworld Companion (Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs)
  16. Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quartet (R.A. Salvatore)
  17. The Sally Lockhart quartet: The Ruby in the Smoke (Phillip Pullman)
  18. The Sally Lockhart quartet: The Shadow in the North (Phillip Pullman)
  19. The Sally Lockhart quartet: The Tiger in the Well (Phillip Pullman)
  20. The Sally Lockhart quartet: The Tin Princess (Phillip Pullman)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (April 30, 12:00pm)

I went back to the sale again yesterday, and this time, showed more restraint. Still didn't stop me from picking up these seven books for a total of RM63 though...:

  1. Touching Earth (Rani Manicka)
  2. Lucky (Alice Sebold)
  3. Changing Planes (Ursula Le Guin)
  4. The Complete Tolkien Companion (J.E.A. Tyler)
  5. Clockwork (Phillip Pullman)
  6. The Broken Bridge (Phillip Pullman)
  7. The Butterfly Tattoo (Phillip Pullman)

No comments: