Friday, 1 April 2005

Leo Moves the Cheese from Paris to Windsor

The other day, Erna and I were at Kinokuniya, when we saw this book:



PARIS HILTON
Confessions of an Heiress: A Tongue-in-Chic Peek Behind the Pose

Do we REALLY need an autobiography by Paris Hilton? Do we need to know what goes on in Paris Hilton's life? Do we need to know how much money she spends everyday? Do we really need to know what she thinks of that infamous video that got out? (Wait. I'll have to say yes to that last one.)

That book's a joke, I tell you. I wonder who actually BUYS books like that...

Then again, I'm currently reading The Windsor Knot, a book about the Prince Charles-Camillia-Diana triangle. Not that I bought it, mind you, I'm reading it because I'm reviewing it.

Sigh, the things I do for extra money.

Oh well, since it's April's Fool's Day, I shall dedicate this post to the stupidest and sillest books I've ever seen or read. Not to mention the most pointless ones.

Here are some of them, in no particular order:

Travels (Michael Chrichton)
The book that put me off memoirs and biographies for a LONG LONG time. I have yet to read another Crichton book since.

Who Moved My Cheese? (Spencer Johnson)
While many people actually SWEAR by the mantras given in this self-help book, I count this as one of the silliest and cheesiest (pun unashamedly intendedly) book I have ever read. After all, everything preached in this book, I learned in kindergarden. Including how to flush.

Leonardo Di Caprio : An illustrated story
I actually saw this in a sale once. Alongside 'biographies' of the All-Saints, Backstreet Boys, and *shudder* 911.

Clear and Present Danger (Tom Clancy)
Before any rabid Clancy fans start hentaming me, hear me out. I distainctly remember reading this book, and coming to a chapter where Clancy describes a character from his childhood to his career achivements, and then killing him off in the next chapter.

Another thing I can't stand about Clancy is his ability to bore me to tears with long and languid descriptions of tanks, guns and military machinary, some supposedly so secret that one wonders what it's doing in one of HIS books. If you like him, fine. But I personally can't stand him.

A New Spring (Robert Jordan)
What's a prequel to one of the best-selling fantasy series doing in this list? Precisely because it is a PREQUEL to a series that has not even been FINISHED yet! If Jordan had the time to write this, SURELY he could have finished the damn series by now????

Honourary mentions:
  • How to Quit Golf (I bet a book on how to quit blogging would sell better than THIS one)
  • An Interview with JK. Rowling (Another book I don't really need to read)
  • The Da Vinci Code: Special Ilustrated Edition (This smacks of the worst case of milking a product for all it's worth)

No comments: