Sunday, 17 April 2005

The Return of a New Hope for Revenge to Strike Back!

Star Wars.

Just the two mention of these two words is enough to evoke awe, excitement, anticipation, childhood memories, disdain, confusion, ignorance or plain disinterest, depending on what generation you come from.

In the case of The Visitor, I'm guessing it would be mostly disdain. :-P

Anyway, I grew up in the 80's, so Star Wars means a lot to me. Heck, I was BORN in the year the ORIGINAL Star Wars (Later known as Episode IV: A New Hope) was released.

I've watched all three movies countless times throughout the years (mostly due to the fact that all three movies had some kind of 'annual run' on TV2 in the past), and although I don't think as highly of them as the original movies, I still watched Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Episode II: Attack of the Clones five times each. In the cinema.

In fact, I watched AOTC twice in POLAND of all places. The first time I watched it there, the title and the famous scrolling text in the beginning all came up in POLISH, and I was literally shaking with fear (and cold, actually) that I'd accidently bought tickets to the Polish-dubbed version. You can imagine my relieve when Amidala came on screen and started speaking English.

When the original three movies were rereleased in 1997 as 'Special Editions', I was one of the first to drool in anticipation, because it would fulfill my dream of watching the movies on the BIG SCREEN (which obvisouly I could not, back when they first came out, being a baby and all that).

My favorite Star Wars movie has got to be Empire Strikes Back, mostly because of the Millenium Falcon chase through the asteroid field, and the scene where Darth Vader fights Luke Skywalker and says THAT immortal line (still one of the best twists ever in a movie, IMHO).

To tell the truth, although I was happy with their final battle scenes, I was mostly disappointed with the first two prequels, mostly because of the stupid dialogue, idiotic 'Sound of Music' moments, lousy acting, and Jar Jar Binks. So I wasn't exactly holding my breath in anticipation of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Neither did I think I could EVER get my hopes up again, especially after the trauma of hearing dialogue like "I don't like sand" and "Are you an angel?" from the character who would be biggest and baddest (supposedly) villain in the Empire.

Well, that didn't happen. Despite all my reservations about ever getting hyped about Star Wars again, I got sucked back into the Dark Side.

Right now, I'm getting all caught up in the Star Wars hype again. Mostly because the past few weeks have been pretty Star-Wars-y days for me, especially since I'm working on a story on Star Wars, and I've been hunting (somewhat) for the latest action figures all over KL. (Actually, I'd been looking most of all for the Darth Vader action figure, and I finally found one yesterday.)

I'm also currently watching the entire Volume I of Star Wars: Clone Wars animated series on Cartoon Network as I'm typing this, and I can't wait for the second Volume to start next Monday.

That cartoon (which consists of short 10 minute Samurai-Jack-like cartoons that run daily on Cartoon Network) is supposed to be the bridge between Episode II and Episode III, and besides the cool animation (hey, it's made by the creators of Samurai Jack), it also features a lot of cool new characters (some which might be in ROTS), and some very cool concepts.

In short, the perfect between-movie filler for a Star Wars fan.

Before the Lord of the Rings movies came out, I used to think no other movies other than Star Wars could evoke the same kind of wide-eyed wonder (and the goosebumps) I get when I see the Star Wars logo appear on-screen, or when the opening music hits.

If it wasn't for Lord of the Rings, I'd have bought almost every single merchandise with the Star Wars logo on it (as it turns out, I bought everything with the LOTR logo on it instead).

I still collect some Star Wars stuff here and there, mostly some action figures, posters, magazines covers, and other assorted stuff. And I still wish I had enough money to buy a proper lightsabre.

These past few days, I've been getting caught up in the hype again, and I'm thinking of Star Wars left right and center. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm getting more and more excited about the new movie with each passing day.

ROTS may be a great movie, or it may suck really badly, but it IS going to be the FINAL Star Wars movie EVER, and if THAT doesn't make it worth watching over and over again, then nothing will.

Anyone who tries to throw a damper on my enthusiasm, or scoffs at the new movie will find out just how disturbing I find your lack of faith is...

To everyone else: It's Star Wars season again, so get your lightsabers out, hit the cantinas, feel the Force, and get ready to experience the Revenge of the Sith on May 19 2005!

Semoga Kuasa bersama anda!

No comments: