Tuesday, 26 April 2005

The Times Warehouse Sale and a Defender of Borders!

Two bookstore-related pieces here:

----------------------------------------------------

Heads up people, the Times The Bookshop Warehouse Sale is back!

This was THE best warehouse sale last year (I spent almost RM300+ there last year), and naturally, I'm looking forward to it again.

Here are the details:

Date: 29th April - 8th May (Preview day for Times privelege card-members on 28th April)
Time: 10am - 7.00pm
Venue: 4, 2nd Floor, Jalan 13/4, Section 13, Petaling Jaya (behind Colgate-Palmolive)


Dammit, there goes my plan of saving money this month...

------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, my post on Hating Borders actually got attracted some feedback from monkgypsy, someone who actually WORKS in Borders Times Square:

Hi eyeris,

I'm a staff at Borders KL and I found your blog while googling for comments on our store. I just wanna say that while the bookstore feels less cosy because of the large open space, but on the bright side, you have so much space to navigate the store in, even on crowded days.

In terms of book titles, Kinokuniya still holds the highest number (250,000) but thats including its Japanese books. Borders has 200,000 title and so does MPH 1U.

Our staffs may not know everything - but a staff who may not know the diff between sci fi and fantasy may surprise you on his knowledge of nietzsche or sylvia plath.

In any case i find my colleagues to be very friendly and eager to help customers. Seeing as that most of the floor staffs are SPM grads and this may be their first job, they have done very well so far in their training.

Anyway, as a staff I just felt I should say the management is not all cold and all about the money.. they actually encourage love for books and knowledge in our daily briefings. I have colleagues who worked for Kino and MPH before and they simply love the Borders management as compared to the other

2. Your point is taken though about the lack of cosiness in the store and the absence of comment cards. I hope you'll visit us again soon and find improvements.

comment by moongypsy 04.26.05 - 7:06 pm #


Cooooool. Good defence there. Maybe there IS hope for Borders Times Square after all. Though I still say the World of Feng Shui has to go. :-)

Check out her other comment on the post as well, which gives some insight on just how much 'freedom' a bookstore when selecting its books.

BTW, Moongypsy, DO email me personally, and maybe I can give you more feedback. :-)

No comments: