Monday, 4 April 2005

The Yellow Chicken and The Fraidy Cat

I've never been really fond of watching horror movies.

Call me chicken if you'd like, but I just don't like watching horror films. I can count on one hand the number of horror films I've actually watch.

I've not seen Psycho, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, The Ring, The Exorcist, The Grudge, The Phone, The Rice Cooker or The Pair of Socks. Nope. Not a single one.
I've actually watched more CHINESE horror flicks than EHollywood ones, though not the newer ones like The Eye and so on. I used to love the original Mr. Vampire movies, jumping vampires and all.

I admit I DO get scared when I watch horror films. Especially when it's the psychological type of scare. Not those BOO!-a-second cheap thrills where a shadow passes the screen suddenly and it turns out to be just a cat. Those can give you a scare, true, but they also make you wanna throw your cinema seat at the screen in disgust.

What scares me even more during a ghost movie is the IDEA of a ghost being around. I remember watching The Haunting (which was crap, BTW), and the parts that scared me the most were not the ghosts, but the parts where the sun was setting, because everyone knows that ghosts only come out at night.

Some people (like The Visitor, for instance) just LOVE watching horror films, and some people actually go watch them just for the scares. Not me. I'm scared enough of REAL LIFE.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are some of the movies that scared me the most, and since I haven't seen THAT many horror movies, I'm not counting just horror movies:


The Sixth Sense:

After watching this movie, I was haunted by the thought of ghosts all around me. I couldn't bear to look at an empty corridor in case I saw a few corpses hanging there.

The Village:
Another M. Night Shyamalam movie. Though it wasn't exactly a horror film, and not really that scary either, but Shyamalan managed to make the movie's atmosphere both chilling and foreboding. When the monsters come out, you DO get scared, even though they look stupid.

Alien:
Chest-Burster. Final Scene. Nuff' said.

Mr. Vampire
Though it didn't scare me much, I just love the idea of Chinese vampires hopping around like jackrabbits, and vampires being stopped by a piece of yellow paper stuck on their forehead. Wacky, but incredibly Chinese.

Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd:
What scared me most about this movie was not the fact that it was so un-funny I almost cried halfway through the movie; but that the ENTIRE CINEMA was laughing at the bathroom scene with the chocolate/shit.

No comments: