Wednesday, 4 May 2005

The Sport of Supporting Sports

I woke up happy today.

No, it's not because of er.. nocturnal activities last night (which I shall not elaborate on).

Ok, well, it WAS a nocturnal activity. I was up till 5am watching Liverpool go through to the Champion's League Final up and I couldn't sleep after the match because I was too emotionally drained from all the anxiety and happiness. :-)

Now, before some of you start rolling your eyes (Erna, your eyeballs might fall off if you keep doing that), let it be known that despite what it looks like (which is, well, 22 guys in shorts kicking a ball around a field), football actually means a lot to many of us.

True, we may not PLAY the damn game, but some of us have supported a team for eons, and some of us have even shed tears over a loss/victory. Heck, for some, it is the ONLY times the ever shed tears.

There's just something about sports that gets the heart pumping, the adrenalin going, and the emotions running. Could it be a guy thing? After all, I don't know many girls who get worked up over a Man Utd fan gloating over a Liverpool fan (Which I bloody HATE, BTW. Who's in the Champion's League Final eh? eh? eh?), another ball given away, a goal missed, and a penalty denied.

I used to be very active in sports as well. And I miss that feeling of excitement, tension, pressure, competitiveness and anticipation all rolled into one when I stepped into a starting block.

It's an unbelievable feeling, and these days, the closest I get to it is when I watch football on the telly, or playing futsal/badminton with friends.

And watching that game last night really brought back that feeling. though at times it was a little TOO nervy for me.

Oh, and BTW, in case you start wondering why I don't talk about sports here often, since I love it so much, I DO have this little sports blog here, called Eye on Sports, where I talk about Liverpool, sports, Manure, and more about Liverpool. :-)

Now, if you excuse me (and the shameless promo), I'm going to sleep again, and I shall go to the zoo after that. :-)

No comments: