Thursday, 5 May 2005

Star Wars Mad in Singapore

No, I didn't get to go to the zoo yesterday because I woke up too late, and the sun was too damn hot to run around ogling at orang-utans and elephants.

So, instead of the zoo, I did the thing which for me, is the only thing worth doing in Singapore - I went to BORDERS. AGAIN.

This time, I went Star Wars mad again.

In Malaysia, the Star Wars hype has not exactly picked up steam yet. Apart from the Pregnant Amidala (Three figures for the price of one!) action figures flooding the market, I've only seen what, RHB and Canon having Star Wars promotions.

Over here in Singapore, the hype is a little bit ridiculous.

Almost everywhere, you can see the Star Wars logo. On Twisties packets, M&Ms, Chupa-Chups (which we DO have in Malaysia too), mobile phone top-up cards and so on.

They've even got Star Wars M&Ms with taglines that go:
  • I'm Maul'd Shook Up (Darth Maul packet)
  • I'm part peanut, part machine, and all dark inside (General Grievous dark chocolate mix)
Anyway, I also went a little Star Wars mad here. I bought no less than 4 magazines with Star Wars covers (One was the UK Empire Limited Star Wars Edition), two Chupa-Chups Darth Vaders (One Vader had a spinning lillipop on his head!), a four packets of Star Wars M&Ms (hey, the Darth Vader M&Ms are cute!), a cool General Grievous Unleashed action figure, and a Lego Darth Vader Keychain. I would have gotten a poster too, but it was too expensive for me. *sob*

Yes, I'm a sucker for merchandising. So sue me. And I'm an even bigger sucker for Darth Vader merchandise.

Speaking of which, I'm sure most of you have heard of it ages ago, but go check out this blog - The Darth Side: Memoirs of a Monster. It's hilarious!

No comments: