Thursday, 25 August 2005

Choosing my Reading before Flying

I saw this post Book Genre: Airport Novel at Eating Chaos' book blog, where she mentioned a new 'genre' in books - the airport novel, which basically means, books that are suitable for airport reading.

Now, I've spent a fair amount of time in airports, and if there's one thing I know, it's that airports can be damn bloody BORING. And at times like that, a book is a gift from the gods.

Of course, you could always make like a broke tourist and sleep on the airport lounge chairs (or in the case of KLIA, FREEZE on the lounge chairs), or if you have a laptop, you could go online (KLIA got free wi-fi mar).

But if you can't (or don't want to) do these things, then you can read a book. Almost every single airport in the world has a bookstore (except possibly Warsaw International Airport, trust me, I checked. Don't know if they have one NOW though...) where you can buy a nice little book to read, and kill time.

The best books to read in airports are the lighter ones. Those are light, easy to read, and not so heavy that it makes you fall asleep on your airport lounge chair and miss your flight. Most people tend to favor the really commercial pop fiction books, such as those by Dan "I'm gonna stay #1 on Kino's bestseller's list FOREVER!" Brown, John "Can you tell that I used to be a lawyer?" Grisham, Michael "Hey, who wants to make a movie out of my book?" Chrichton, and so on. You get the picture.

Well, can't argue with THOSE choices. They're easy to read, and the books are nice and light (in paperback, that is). Personally though, I tend to choose books based on a few criteria:


  • Light - I'm NOT gonna lug the damn book around in my luggage afterwards! So the hardback edition of the entire LOTRseries is probably out of the question. That said, I also want my books to be...
  • Not too thin - Hey, if I finish the damn book in under an hour when I have a three-hour transit, that's kinda missing the point right? Which brings me to...
  • Easy reading - I'd rather not have a headache when I go on the plane, so nothing too heavy please.

Of course, since I usually already have a book with me wherever I go, these criteria are chosen based on the assumption that I have to BUY my own book. In which case, the final criterium would be: MUST BE CHEAP. Hey, I'm not gonna spend a hundred bucks for a book I only read once in the airport.

But since when I'm stuck in an airport, I probably have no choice BUT to read the damn book, I usually just bring books along that I NEED to read but haven't got to yet (usually those I need to review...). And that kills two birds with one stone. And THAT'S my ideal airport book. Heh.

No comments: