Sunday, 21 August 2005

Karya Muzik Seorang Sasterawan yang Selekeh

First of all, thanks to all who replied my er.. call for help. You saved my er... story. :-)

Anyways, lets get back to regular blogging transmission, shall we?

Today's blog post is about a band. Not just any band, mind you, but a band helmed by my friend and colleague - Izuan Shah, also of the blog Sastera Selekeh!

*clap clap clap* Woop woop *Flags waving* Toink toink!

The band's name is Auburn (why it's called that, I leave it to the man himself to explain), and they released their first EP two months ago, called Karya, and since I have to say its a pretty decent effort.

Here's the cover:



Karya contains five songs - Androgyne, Karya (an English song with a BM title), Beloved, Silhouettes (not to be confused with the Kenny G album of the same name), and To Be Continued...

I'm not gonna talk about ALL five songs in the EP right now (which I mostly like, though I'm kinda undecided on two of them. Sorry dude), but rather, just one - Androgyne.

This song is CATCHY. The first few times I heard it, I couldn't get the chorus out of my head, especially the 'Even star-crossed lovers sigh' part. It's catchy, and I LIKE it.

I DO have a few gripes about it though (and I've told you this before, Izuan), that the guitars in the intro sounds a little too overdone, and that some parts are a little out of place. I would love to hear a stripped down version of this song, maybe not an acoustic version, but a slightly less 'hard-rocking' version...

But heck, I don't really mind. It's a good song, and if I had the lyrics, I'd be singing it in the car along with all my Jimmy Eat World songs.

Speaking of Jimmy Eat World, once, a colleague who had heard Auburn's CD before was in my car while I was playing Jimmy Eat World's Clarity album, and she asked me, "Is this Izuan's band?". what a compliment eh? :)

To tell the truth, his voice DOES sound like a little like Jimmy Eat World's lead singer. In fact, come to think of it, the five songs on Karya sounds very much like a cross between Jimmy Eat World (ever noticed that their initials spell 'JEW'? hmmm...) and Smashing Pumpkins (which Izuan said before are two bands that he listens to a lot). Which is a good thing. Really.

The songs in the Karya EP grow on you. And if it wasn't worth listening to, I wouldn't even be mentioning it here. Unless it's REALLY BAD. Which it isn't. So go get it!

Anyway, enough about what I think. If you're interested in getting a copy of Auburn's CD (which only costs RM12! CHEAP!), do head on over to Izuan's blog HERE: An Alien's Dream Diaries Sastera Selekeh, to find out how you can get your hands on it.

Besides, if you don't like the music, you can always stare at the funky looking cover instead...

Update:
You can get Karya at the following places:
  • Studio 78, One Utama new wing
  • Studio 78, 1st floor of Asia Cafe in SS15, Subang Jaya
  • Wondermilk in Damansara Utama, PJ
  • Music Magic in Central Market, Kuala Lumpur
  • Music Exchange

No comments: