Friday, 12 August 2005

Songs that lift you up and make you cry

Some songs can make you laugh. Some songs make you cry. Some songs make you feel anger, and others make you sigh.

For me, the best songs are not just about how good the guitar riff is, how profund the lyrics are, how simple the melody is, or how complicated the arrangement is. For me, a good song makes you FEEL. It awakens EMOTIONS in you. That's what makes me compels me to keep listening to a song over and over again, more than anything else.

Lately, I've been listening to a set of songs that I repeat whenever I feel like it (I leave it in the front of my playlist in my iPod so I can find them easily). I sing them aloud (or rather, SCREAM), and it allows me to get things out.

If I've ever given the impression that I don't FEEL anything, it's because I let everything out in the car, when listening and singing to certain songs. THAT'S my best way of releasing stress.

The following are some of the songs that are on this list, of which I feel deserve to be highlighted becuse of what they mean to me, and how they make me feel.

Has someone taken your faith?
It's real, the pain you feel,
The life, the love, you die to heal,
The hope that starts the broken hearts,
The trust, you must confess?
- Best of You (Foo Fighters)

Feeling like screaming defiance at the world, and letting it all out? Scream Best of You by the Foo Fighters in the car. It's the kind of song I listen to when I'm pissed off at something, when all I wanna do is to growl and curse at everyone, and when I want to pick a fight.

It's my favorite song now, whenever I'm angry at somone or something. And nothing releases tension better than screaming this song in the car.

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear
- Run (Snow Patrol)

Want a song that lifts you and is sad at the same time? Listen to Run, by Snow Patrol. The tune is sad, the melody is brilliant, and the verse gives a sense of hopelessness to the song. Then when you come to the chorus, it lifts you up, and it gives you hope.

It's hard to describe how this song makes me feel, but have you ever lost something or someone, only to get it or him or her back again? Then you might have an inkling of what I mean - that Run gives me hope in the midst of hopelessness.

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it’s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I’m Mr Brightside
- Mr. Brightside (The Killers)

Wanna know how jealousy sounds like if it was a song? Listen to Mr. Brightside, by The Killers.

Not sure if it is actually a song about jealousy (though the lyrics DOES have that word), but whenever I hear it, I feel the pain, the anguish and the hurt that one usually associates with being jealous (and god knows I've felt THAT a lot before).

Another thing about this song is that every time the intro comes on, I feel compelled to listen to the entire song. It's THAT addictive.

Promises mean everything
When you're little and the world's so big
I just don't understand how
You can smile with all those tears in your eyes
Tell me everything is wonderful now
- Wonderful, Everclear

Everclear's Wonderful is a well... wonderful song. It's about a child whose parents are always arguing, always apart, and it conveys that story perfectly. It helps that it's based on Everclear lead singer Art Alexakis' own personal story, and at times during the song all that pain and angst about a broken home comes out with so much anguish it makes you sad as well. Also perfect for screaming in the car when you feel frustrated at everything...

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am
- Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)

So we come to Iris, by Goo Goo Dolls. I started using the moniker 'Eyeris' back when this song was released, not because I liked the name, but because the song meant a lot to me. The lyrics to the chorus described perfectly how I felt at the time, that I really wanted to be left alone, and that no one would really understand me, even though I wanted them to.

It was a heartbreaking song in heartbreaking times for me, and the nickname 'Eyeris' is a remnant of that.

There are a lot more songs on my list right now that help me get through the day sometimes, including Jimmy Eat World's Sweetness, The Middle and 23, Oasis' Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Don't Look Back in Anger; but I'll leave that for another day...

For now, I'm content with this particular pot of emotions to listen to...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bright lights from placebo....just
http://satrincha-light.blogspot.com/