Wednesday, 2 November 2005

The Corpse Bride Remarried

I watched the Corpse Bride for the second time on Tuesday, and it's been stuck on my mind since then. This is one movie that really grows on you.

The first time I watched it, I was so hyped up and excited to finally see it (I'd been waiting for AGES to see it) that I ended up being too intent on WANTING to enjoy the movie. In the end, I just watched it in a blur of pictures and sound and it turned out to be a pretty good movie. Not great, but good.

The second time around though, it was different. I could really sit back and enjoy the animation (hard to imagine it's all stop-motion animation eh?), the expressions and little details on the character's faces (Emily, the Corpse Bride, may be dead and rotting, but she is one cute corpse. Oh no, what have I just said. GAH!), the dialogue, the songs, and everything else I missed while on my first viewing.

It's my favorite movie this year so far.

Granted, there have been very few movies that I've really really liked this year, but Corpse Bride definitely is MY favorite one so far. It's story may be simple, uncomplicated, and the dialogue may be cliched at parts, but it's jolly good fun, and it's a marvelous watch just to see how the stop-motion animation can whop the asses of computer-generated movies like Shark Tale and Madagascar to Looney-Toon-Mars and back.



And of all the characters, I love Emily the Corpse Bride most. No, I don't have a morbid sexual fascination with dead things. I just love the way the character was portrayed, the expressions, her behavior, and Helena Bonham-Carter's voice. She's certainly more emotionally compelling than the average dead person, and as a lead character and a 'love interst' she's certainly no dead fish. Aha. Geddit? 'DEAD' fish? Oh never mind.

Anyway, Corpse Bride to me 's a lovely film. Simple, uncomplicated, and quaintly touching. It ain't no Nightmare Before Christmas that's for sure, but cast aside all comparisons with NBX, and you'll see a movie that is entertaining and wonderful on its own right.

I think I'll go watch it again.

No comments: