Wednesday, 14 December 2005

The Giant Ape and the Hot Chick



I'm gonna hazard a guess here and say that The Visitor would probably say that King Kong is pure Hollywood commercial pap. But then again, I've been wrong before. Oh well. (Update: Iturns out I was RIGHT! He hated it! Ref: King Conked)

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I thought about the movie:
  • Naomi Watts is HOT
  • Peter Jackson ROCKS.
  • Andy Serkis ROCKS
  • Somebody PLEASE bitch-slap Jack Black
  • The AWESOME King Kong vs T-Rex Smackdown really has to be seen to be believed
  • Is Peter Jackson completely incapable of making a SHORT movie now?
  • I never thought it possible to have an entire movie's dialogue in grunts and groans and roars. Well, ALMOST the entire movie.
  • I think PJ was having a little TOO much fun, and overindulged a bit (ok, A LOT) with the monsters and CGI.
  • Chains. Sad.
  • Wah, like that also cannot die?
  • Were PJ's kids in THIS movie?
  • My my, what big nostrils you have, Kong
  • Is this a monster film? A horror film? A romantic comedy? An action movie? etc etc etc.
  • The savages scene a bit too much lar woi
  • Wow, that's like the... third time I thought I was watching Lord of the Rings...
  • The ending is iconic, and heart-wrenching
  • Boohoohoo!

Verdict? I thought it was pretty damn good. A little TOO long and over-indulgent perhaps, but in any case, this IS Peter Jackson's DREAM project, so I guess he's entitled to get a little carried away.

Besides, any movie that makes you pray that the oversized ape gets the girl will ALWAYS get an A in MY book.

And in case you were wondering, no, I haven't seen the original either. So sue me. I was only born 44 years later after all...

No comments: