Wednesday, 18 January 2006

Getting Strokes over First Impressions

Been busy lately, and that coupled with the internet being down at home because I forgot to pay the bill, blogging transmission may be slightly sporadic this week.

Anyway, with two concerts coming up that I'm gonna be going for, AND with all the new songs I've been listening to, most of my blog ideas lately (which usually come to me while I'm driving on that 30-minute journey back from my office, surprise surprise, with the radio on as well), so I figured, why not do a series of music-related posts?

Therefore, I decided to declare this week as the Official Music Week on EoE!!!

Hooray!

*clap clap clap*
*Mexican wave*

Ahem.

Anyway, like I said, I'd been listening to a lot of new stuff lately. Well, new AND old stuff. Anyway (again), one album I recently got my hands on was The Strokes' latest album - First Impressions of Earth.

HOWEVER, My first impression of the album was - WHAT CRAP.

Probably the only song I thought was listenable was Eletricityscape, which besides having a pretty cool title, was also the only song that I repeated more than twice. The rest of the songs merely served to remind me why I HATED the band's music so much.

Some people may think they're pretty damn good, but I personally have NEVER liked The Strokes. Not even when they were being labeled the 'next big thing' a few years back.

I'm not sure whether it's the lazy drawling vocalist (I can never tell if the guy is singing or chanting a Buddhist mantra), or the annoying beats or the somewhat disjointed and messy feel of their songs. Maybe it's just me, but sorry, I just don't like that kind of music.

Me, I prefer:

  • nice meaningful lyrics (as opposed to "Nobody can see me, everythings too easy, standing in the lightfield, standing in the lightfield, waiting for some actress, waiting for some actress...")
  • good proper guitar playing (as opposed to those that sound like the guitarist is using a stick of tofu as a guitar pick)
  • proper SINGING (as opposed to singdrawling, which often makes me wanna go into strokes)
  • and a semblance of MELODY in the songs.

So I like emo rock. Sue me.

Hence, my usual "HUH?!?!?" reaction whenever I read a music critic that says The Strokes' music is the best thing since peanut butter and sliced bread. I can't understand what's so great about The Strokes. I think they're crap. If you don't think it's crap, well, good on you. But I do.

Andnow if you'll excuse me, I need to go delete those MP3s in my hard disc before they invade and suck the fun from my iPod's playlist...

No comments: