Thursday, 2 February 2006

The Sandman Completeth Thy Dream

So it was that six months after I interviewed the King of Dreams, Neil Gaiman himself, I finally read and completed my collection of his most well known work - The Sandman comics.

And what a good read it is. Damn I wish I'd read them BEFORE I interviewed him. At least then I'd have a lot more questions to ask him.

I'd initially only bought the first book - Preludes and Nocturnes - because I needed something for him to autograph as a favor to someone, but when it accidently got signed with MY name instead, I decided to keep it (what else could I do?) and read it instead.

Then, because I'd already borrowed the second book - The Doll's House - as 'research', I read that as well. And so it began.

Since then, I'd been buying one or two books every month, and yesterday, I finally bought the ninth and tenth books - The Kindly Ones and The Wake.

Needless to say, I'm quite shattered that that's the end of the series. Sure, there's Endless Nights and the other Gaiman books to buy and read, but The Sandman was something special.

It was quite unlike any of the other comics I'd read (which basically, were limited to just manga, Hong Kong wuxia comics and Transformers comics) in that I actually wanted MORE AND MORE as I read on.

Morpheus a.k.a. Dream of the Endless may be a rather aloof, cold and emotionless hero, but you loved reading about him nonetheless. Maybe it was because he is so aloof most of the time that when he DOES show a hint of emotion, you felt it along with him.

And who could resist his siblings? Ok, maybe Despair, Desire and Destiny were not particularly er... desirable, but Delirium is one kooky character, Destruction is just fun, and Death... well, she just goes against every stereotype of the Grim Reaper you could think of. She's fun, pretty and chirpy, but stills hold a scent of sadness to her. Let's just say that now I understand why some chicks love her Goth chick look.

Anyway, Sandman is one heck of a book. Gaiman's stories, the different artists he collaborated with, and the overall rather depressing yet enlightening premise makes the entire series a damn good read. It's even fun spotting all the characters from the DC comics universe pop up wonce in a while (like Batman, Constantine, Martian Manhunter and so on).

My favorites? Brief Lives (my favorite story arc in the series, and the one where I decided Delirium was my favorite Endless), Season of Mists (I just love the different perspectives of the different envoys of different realms), and World's End (the ENDING, the ENDING!).

Now, I think it's time to move on to completing my Sin City collection....

No comments: