Friday, 11 August 2006

The Eyeris List of Top Ten Most 'Harmful' Books ever written

Ok, so I haven't updated for the past few days. What, you think I no need to work ar? You think I no life ar? What? Oh shut up you stupid computer. What do you mean I have no life? Sick of me looking at you all the time???? BAH! Stop talking to me. I'm not listening!!! BLEH! LALALALALALALALALA....

Ahem.

Anyway, I saw this post: Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries on Simon's book blog yesterday, and wanted to blog about it, but then I got sidetracked by that dastardly genie called WORK, and couldn't get down to it.

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering, here's what I think about the list. It's utter BOLLOCKS. Most harmful books??? How the heck are books supposed to HARM people? Throw themselves kamikaze-like off the shelves and hit people?

Sure, those books are controversial and all, and have a lot of stuff that may or may not be agreeable to everyone, but to say that mere books caused all that 'harmful stuff' is just rubbish.

It's not the BOOK that determines how much harm or good it does. It's the READERS who do that. I mean, look at certain holy books of religion. They are supposed to be GOOD books, but look what happens when certain PEOPLE who read them misintepret them to the extent that it causes more harm than good. Witch hunts? Suicide bombings? Aren't those er... HARMFUL activities?

Look, sure, the authors may have had EVIIIL thoughts while writing those books, but just like blogs these days, it's up to the readers whether they want to believe in those words or not. After all, some people actually believe that whatever a certain prominent blogger says is TRUE and is ALWAYS RIGHT, despite him being an INDIVIDUAL who answers to no one but himself (and maybe his occasional freebie-giving sponsor).

My point is, you can't really determine how 'harmful' a book may be. Take Harry Potter for instance. On the good side of things, it's got MILLIONS of kids to actually READ. On the other side of things, it's also gotten them to believe that J.K. Rowling is a brilliant writer (which she is not. She merely has really good plots, ideas and marketing) and that everyone else is crap. So a whole generation of kids are going to grow up worshipping Rowling as the Tolkien of their times. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a really horrible prospect to me.

Bah. Enough serious talk. Let's get a little silly. Because if others can come up with a list of books than are purportedly 'harmful' to the world, I can as well.

So here are my personal top ten most harmful books ever written. And I've even given REASONS!


The Eyeris List of Top Ten Most 'Harmful' Books ever written


1) The Da Vinci Code (Dan Blown) - Harmful to lovers of actual good writing

2) Travels (Michael Chrichton) - Harmful to your stomach (Yes, it's THAT crappy. And it's supposed to be NON-fiction)

3) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (JK Rowling-in-it) - Harmful to your kids' reading habits. (They might not want to read anything else anymore)

4) Who Moved My Cheese? - Harmful to suckers

5) No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting - Harmful to Insomniacs (I swear this is a real book. I saw it in Payless)

6) Wayne Rooney: My Story So Far - Harmful to your intellect (more like an insult, actually, but you get the point...)

7) Confessions of a Heiress (Paris Hilton) - Harmful to your sanity

8) The Book of Bunny Suicides - Harmful to bunnies

9) The Complete Far Side 1980-1994, two volume set - Harmful to your wallet and credit card limit

10) Puteri Gunung Ledang: The Picture Book - Harmful to your butt (just seeing the cover will make you fall out of your chair in disbelief)

No comments: