Tuesday, 1 August 2006

Forest Mages and Dragons in the Deep

I did promise an inane book post today right? Ok, here we go then.

Anyway, I was in Kinokuniya last week, browsing around and lamenting my dwindling funds, when I came across this:



Book two of the Soldier Son trilogy! Robin Hobb! Woohoo!

And so, being the weak-minded being that I am, I just GRABBED it off the shelf in the same manner I did to book one, exactly one year ago. And proceeded to starve for the next four days before my salary came out.

Then, I also saw THIS book:



Dragons of the Dwarven Depths?!?!?!? The Dark Chronicles, Volume 1?!?!?!?!? Do we REALLY need another Dragonlance book? After the insipid bore that was the War of Souls trilogy, Weis and Hickman have really lost the plot. They should have quit with Dragonlance: Chronicles and Dragonlance: Legends, which may have been shallow fantasy, but at least they were immensely entertaining in their own right.

This one apparently is an 'untold story' from the War of the Lance (which was when Chronicles and Legends are set pretty much), and just smacks of W&H trying to revive their careers by going back to what was their most popular works.

Nope, I'm not gonna buy this. Will probably read it (and finish it) in the bookstore, but nope, I'm not buying it unless I see it in Payless, and even then, only if it's below RM10...

No comments: