Sunday, 6 August 2006

Put Sufjan Stevens on, and we'll play your favorite song...

Look what I got today! Woohoohoo!



I've been longing to get my hands on Illinoise ever since I heard Snow Patrol's Hands Open, which referenced Sufjan Steven's Chicago on this album. And since I couldn't seem to find it (at a decent price) around KL, I asked my sister to bring it back from US for me...

And now I have not just Illinoise, but Greetings From Michigan as well! Whee!

It's funny, but usually I don't listen to these genre of songs. But after er... acquiring the songs from the entire album, I found I really liked the tunes and melodies on Illinoise, so I asked my sis to get it for me.

Sufjan Stevens is apparently on a quest to record albums about all fifty states on the US, and he's now done... er... TWO.

Well, if it's anything as good as Illinoise (I haven't really heard Michigan yet), then I'll probably be having all fifty in my colelction. god knows how long it'll take him though...

One funny thing about his songs is the bombastic titles. With titles like:

  • They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhh!
  • The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders / Part I: The Great Frontier / Part II: Come to Me Only With Playthings Now
  • The Black Hawk War, Or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization And Still Feel Good About Yourself In The Morning, Or, We Apologize For The Inconvenience But You're Gonna Have To Leave Now, Or, 'I Have Fought The Big Knives And Will Continue To Fight...
I'm serious. those three are actual song titles. And that's not all. There are a few more that have titles like those.

However, it's some of the songs that have less bombastic titles that I'm pretty much addicted to. Songs like Chicago (the song that was referenced by Snow Patrol), John Wayne Gacy, Jr., and Decatur, Or, Round Of Applause For Your Stepmother! (ok, so this title is pretty long as well), all have beautiful melodies, and very eloquent lyrics to boot.

The lyrics are something I really like especially, because they talk about not the usual stuff, but some really weird stuff and ordinary stuff as well. Sometimes I even wish I wrote them... sigh...

Some of the songs even remind me of Simon & Garfunkel, others are just dreamy and relaxing... Definitely a far cry from the noisy rock songs I've been listening to lately. Yup, considering the mood I've been lately, I think gonna be listening to these two CDs for a loooong time...

No comments: