Saturday, 4 November 2006

Book Review: Stardust (Neil Gaiman)

It's been an eventful week, not just at work, but also around the blog as well. From banning books to plagirism to writer/bloggers, it's been a fun week, and in a way, I'm glad its the weekend so I can get back to book reviews... :)

It's another Neil Gaiman book this week, but it's not just any novel. It's Stardust, which is a "graphic novel" and also one of the best fairytale-like novels I've read in a long time...

----------------------------------------------------------------




Title: Stardust: Being a Romance Within the Realms of Faerie
Author: Neil Gaiman
Illustrator: Charles Vess


Synopsis:
Wall is a town in England that is the border between our world and Faerie, and the people of Wall are 'guardians' of the gap/gateway between our world and Faerie.

The story in Stardust is about Tristran Thorn, who in a rash decision, decides to go into Faerie to bring a fallen star back for the girl he loves. Once in there, he gets caught up in all sorts of adventures...


What I Liked:
  • I like fairy-tales
  • Nice, charming characters
  • The whole mood of the book is very matter-of-fact, and very whimsical
  • Charles Vess' illustrations are NICE, VERY NICE
  • I like the way the whole story goes from start to finish, and it is never boring.

What I Didn't Like:
  • I want more stories like that!!! (maybe it's time to read that Susanna Clarke story)
  • Some parts may be a little too violent and scary for kids... IF you're planning to read this 'fairytale' to kids lar. Then again, Hansel and Gretel was more gory...

Summary:
It's definitely one of Gaiman's better works. It's a fairytale, in every sense of the word, and reminds me of all the Enid Blyton books I used to read. Gaiman also writes the story in a very whimsical way and gives the whole story a very fairytale-like feeling.

The characters in the story are also pretty memorable, especially all the Faerie people. the lead character, Tristran himself is a little kayu, but stil endearing in the bumbling but true hero way.

My version of the novel is the graphic novel, and I'm glad I got this version and not the normal novel version, because Charles Vess' illustrations are brilliant. They make reading the novel so much more enjoyable.

If you only read one Neil Gaiman books, this should definitely be on top of the list.

No comments: