Monday, 6 November 2006

Let's go to the zoo, there's lots of things to do....

The other day, I went to the Zoo.

It's been quite some time since I actually went around the Zoo Negara, and so I was actually looking forward to this trip.

Now, I've been to quite a few great zoos lately, most notably the San Diego Zoo and the Singapore one, I always thought our own zoo would be pretty pathetic by comparison.

It isn't.

Ok, so the facilities are a little run-down, the lake-house is an eyesore (though the birds on it are not), and it could use some upgrading.

But atmosphere-wise, I actually thought it was pretty cool. It actually looks like a real jungle (though the lack of upkeep might have a lot to do with that), and seeing the animals in that sort of environment actually made them seem... HAPPIER.

They even had a nice big 'savannah walk' for the animals like giraffes, zebras, ostriches and deer to wander around, and it was pretty cool.

While it may pale in comparison to some bigger and more well-established zoos in other part of the world, I actually liked wandering around our own zoo. For RM15, it was a pretty nice place to visit. In fact, I think EVERYONE shold go visit the zoo. Bring your kids! It's cool!

Anyway, I had some fun trying to get used to my camera (still), and here's what I came up with...

First up, a nice montage of animals...



Otters are cute:



Tigers are cool:



And so are gators:




That one looked especially happy to see me. He was probably hungry at the time and thought I was a walking pile of bones...

In fact, our reptile house is pretty damn sweeeet. The King Cobras are AWESOME.

Over at the Ape World, I especially liked this old Orang-Utan. He reminded me of an old Shaman or Medicine Man. No wonder they say orang-utans are humans' closest relatives...



Ever seen a civet cat doing a Homer Simpson impression?



While most of the animals, even the notoriously lazy cats, were pretty active most of the time, the bears are damn bloody lazy though. Almost every single one was sleeping:



and in the case of this dude, with very little regard for public decency...



Speaking of public decency, look what I caught the tortoises doing behind the bushes:



And that's not all. These tortoises seem to be pretty adventurous when it comes to sex:



Tortoise threesomes!

Now, all together now... Let's go to the zoo, there's lots of things to do....

No comments: