Monday, 20 November 2006

The Witches Take Over The Discworld

I finally got to read (and finish) Wintersmith yesterday!!! WOOT WOOT!

No, it's not out in the bookstores yet. Donno why. Instead, I had to borrow Erna's E-Book, making Wintersmith the first e-book ever that I've read in its ENTIRETY. Always a first for everything, I reckon.

Anyway, the fact that I actually finished it in one day (and then some) should show that this is one fine book. I loved it. Review later in the weekend. For now, I wanna talk about my favorite Terry Pratchett characters. Why? Because Wintersmith has elevated the wtiches to three of the top five spots on mylist of favorite all-time Discworld characters.

Now, instead of wasting more time thinking of another way to introduce the list, allow me to intorduce my current list favorite Discworld characters, in order of preference:


1) Death - ANYONE WHO TALKS LIKE THIS deserves a special mention, doncha think? But Death is not here just for talking funny, no he's here because he IS my favorite character, so much so that I always look forward to all the times in the books when Death comes out, because chances are it's gonna be either damn funny, or damn poignant. Or he can make a poignant moment seem funny. Go figure.

2)
Granny Weatherwax - It wasn't until she appeared in A Hat Full of Sky that I really began to like Granny, but after Wintersmith, I reckon she's one of the most interestingly deep characters in Discworld. Meep!

3) Nanny Ogg - The perfect foil to the cranky Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg is the most fun witch EVER commited to paper. All together now, "A Wizard's Staff has a Knob on the End..."

4) Tiffany Aching - I already liked her in A Hat Full of Sky, and in Wintersmith, she grows up, and is all the better for it. It's not because of the character per se, in fact, as a main character she is too level-headed and serious sometimes, but it's because of her relationships with the other characters around her that make her seem so much more interesting. Besides, anyone who can 'command' the Nac Mac Feegle to do anything she wants better be near the top of this damn list.

5)
Patrician Vetinari - The most sinister, sensible (next to Susan Sto Helit, that is), and cunning (almost as good as Granny Weatherwax) character in the Discworld, and the head of Ankh-Morpork, a city that could drives its leaders mad. His manipulations of Commander Vimes are simply brilliant at times.

6) Rob Anybody - Oh wailey wailey wailey! I dinna ken woot he sais, but I loves 'em anyways! Crivens! Nac Mac Feegle!!!!!!

7)
Susan Sto Helit - Death's adopted grandaughter. A sensible schoolteacher who teaches children to bash up monsters instead of denying their existence. Nuff said.

8)
The Luggage - I don't like Rincewind books much, but I have to admit that I still enjoy them a lot mostly because of The Luggage. I still can't get the image of it's hundreds of legs all wearing little red heels out of my head...

9) Lu-Tze - A bald headed monk who sweeps floors, travels through time, and follows The Way of Mrs. Cosmopolite (a dressmaker in Ankh-Morpork). Quite a charming chap, apparently, as long as one remembers Rule One: Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men.

10) Death of Rats - SQUEAK!


Honourable mentions:
  • Commander Vimes - One of the best developed characters in Discworld
  • Sergeant Detritus - I love his siege crossbow
  • The Librarian - Oook. Ook ook OOOOOK! Ook ook.
  • Nobby Nobbs - Because anyone who was disqualified from the human race for shoving deserves an honourable mention
  • Miss Treason - Boffo!

No comments: