Tuesday, 5 December 2006

Eyeris' 2006 Music Lists: Favorite Live Music Moments

Even considering the fact that I have to go to a lot of concerts in this line of work, it's actually quite amazing that I've actually been to more ENGLISH concerts this year than in the last 5-10 years combined.

It's been a good year in terms of concerts... unfortunately, not for KL. All the best concerts, as usual, went down to Singapore; which is sad, and oh so painful for those of us earning our bread and butter in puny ringgit.

And here I am seriously considering, once again, whether I should just fork out the cash and go to the Muse concert in January in Singapore, or keep my fingers crossed that the Government here will do another 'Pussycat Dolls' and let a genuine Rock band through into our country... Fat chance, I know. Singapore it is then. Sigh.

Anyway, for my next list (I've decided that for the first week of December, the lists are gonna be music-related ones), I shall now list the (few) shows that I have been to, and my favorite moments...

Eyeris' Favorite Live Music Moments of 2006


Kings of Convenience
(Mosaic Music festival 2006, Singapore)
Who knew that a one hour show featuring just two men, two guitars and a piano could outstrip every single rock concert I've been to this year? While it also helped that I actually MET and interviewed these two cool Norwegian dudes one day before the show; the show itself was intimate, entertaining, and magical.

Coldplay
(Twist of Logic" World Tour 2006, Singapore)
THE best rock concert I've been to this year. Sod all you folks who say listening to Coldplay is gay, you wouldn't be thinking that if you'd actually BEEN to one of their concerts. Compared to this, OASIS' concert seemed gay... which brings me to...

Oasis
(Don't Believe the Truth World tour 2006, Singapore)
This concert was the first one I saw this year, which I certainly wasn't going to miss, because Oasis are one of the bands I REALLY wanted to see live. While the show itself was actually quite cool (though SLIGHTLY disappointing), my enjoyment of the show was spoiled by an aching wisdom tooth and some over-zealous Singaporean security guards who don't understand the concept of a mosh pit...

David Tao
(Love Can World Tour 2006, Kuala Lumpur)
One of the few Chinese concerts I've actually enjoyed for the music and not just for the skimpily dressed singer/dancers. Oh ok, the cute er-hu-playing backup singer helped as well...

Troubadours
(Various locations, Kuala Lumpur)
It's cool to go to these indie gigs and just chill out with a beer, and listen to a bunch of people just singing their hearts out. It also helps when your friends are playing as well... I think its cool that there are more and more of these sort of gigs coming up around KL.

Which reminds me. The Indie Scene Cafe has open mike every Friday of December. Go support! For more details, see HERE. More on this in a later post...

No comments: