Friday, 8 December 2006

Eyeris' 2006 Music Lists: Personal Favorites of the Year

Ok, time to wrap up my music lists for this week. I'm running out of ideas, plus the more I think about it, the more I reckon if I continue with more lists, the same songs are gonna be featured in the lists over and over again.

So I might as well just jump to my FAVORITES of the year. Those are easy. If I think of toheres I'll add them later lah. For now, here's my:


Favorite Music of 2006


Top Ten Favorite songs
(based on my personal iTunes play-count. heh)

1) Lightning Blue Eyes (The Secret Machines)
- My FAVORITE song of the year. It's not so much the brilliance of the song, but the fact that every time I listen to the chorus, I get an unresistable urge to sing along with it. Gets me everytime.

2) Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)
- My personal favorite song for emo-ing this year. Another song that I can't stop listening to once the intro comes on... Let's just hope the radio stations don't overplay it to death...

3) Welcome to The Black Parade (My Chemical Romance)
- In terms of song brilliance and nothing attached to personal feelings, this is my favorite song. I love the way it switches from one segment to another, and the marching beats, the chorus, the screaming, the tunes... and even the lyrics...

4) Pink Steam (Sonic Youth)
- The only song ever that I've actually loved the instrumentals more than the actual singing. In fact, I almost always feel a tinge of disappointment when the guitar intro is over and they start singing...

5) When We Were Young (The Killers)
- I like the Killers album. It's unconventionally un-Hot-Fuss-like, and though I prefer other songs to this one on the album, this song happens to be the most singable of the lot, hence the high play count... :D

6) It's Beginning To Get To Me (Snow Patrol)
- I love the lyrics and the chorus here more than anything else on the Snow Patrol album, and it helps that it's one of those songs that is easy to sing with having to bust my vocal chords screaming...

7) Famous Last Words (My Chemical Romance)
- My second favorite song from my favorite album of the year. Rocking, uplifitng, and damn good for singing while driving.

8) The Diary of Jane, acoustic version (Breaking Benjamin)
- The normal version is pretty run-of-the-mill emo stuff, but the acoustic version is so much so much better.

9) Supermassive Black Hole (Muse)
- I didn't like this song at first, but the more I listened to it, the more I got hooked. The chorus and falsetto are damn fun to sing in the car...

10) Nine Crimes (Damien Rice)
- Got this from Cyber-Red's blog, and I've been listening to it ever since, on repeat, which is why it managed to get into the top ten play count list.... Reminds me a little of Snow Patrol's duet with Martha Wainwright (Set The Fire to the Third Bar), but slightly more haunting. A bit emo, but no surprises there...

Notable mentions:
  • Call Me When You're Sober (Evanescence),
  • Let Love In (Goo Goo Dolls)
  • This River Is Wild (The Killers)
  • Uncle Jonny (The Killers)
  • The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (Flaming Lips)
  • Set The Fire to the Third Bar (Snow Patrol & Martha Wainwright)
  • Broken Promise (Placebo)
  • Meds (Placebo)
  • Celebrate The Day (Herbert Gronemeyer)
  • Is It Any Wonder (Keane)
  • Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
  • You Know My Name (Chris Cornell)
  • 1000 Seconds (The Secret Machines)
  • Los Angeles Waltz (Razorlight)
  • Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae)
  • The Adventure (Angels and Airwaves)
  • Losing My Religion (live) (Ryan Star)
  • Glasgow Mega Snake (Mogwai)
  • Stadium Arcadium (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
  • Steady As She Goes (The Raconteurs)
  • Mama (My Chemical Romance)
  • Disenchanted (My Chemical Romance)
  • The End / Dead (My Chemical Romance)

Favorite Albums of 2006

No comments: