Friday, 1 December 2006

Wake Me Up When December Ends

December depresses me sometimes.

It's an indication that another year has pass, and tends to make you think about how the year has been, and what you wish you had or had not done.

By sheer coincidence, the first song I got when shuffling through the songs in my iPod today was Azure Ray's haunting and sad November, which had these verses:




So I'm waiting for this test to end
So these lighter days can soon begin
I'll be alone but maybe more carefree
Like a kite that floats so effortlessly


I was afraid to be alone
Now I'm scared thats how I'd like to be
All these faces none the same
How can there be so many personalities?

So we're speeding towards that time of year
To the day that marks that you're not here
And I think I'll want to be alone
So please understand if I don't answer the phone

I'll just sit and stare at my deep blue walls
Until I can see nothing at all
Only particles some fast some slow
All my eyes can see is all I know



Not only do these paragraphs of lyrics reflect exactly what is going through my mind, it also seems fitting that on the first day of December, I'd be listening to a song about November.

Sometimes, you really don't need to look far for a glimpse into how your day is going to turn out.
All you need to do is turn on your iPod.

Come to think of it, November is not the only month at the end of the year with a damn sad song about it. Evanesence's October is also another damn sad song. And Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends. Oh, and who could forget November Rain?

I hate the end of years.




But I'm about to give this one more shot
And find it in myself
I'll find it in myself...
- Azure Ray, November

No comments: