Sunday, 28 January 2007

Book Review: 300 (Frank Miller, Lynn Varley)

I wrote this some time ago, but never got the chance to finish it... So since I haven't really finished any books (the Dream-eaters book is more tedious than I thought), I thought I'd put this up instead...


And since there's a movie coming out as well... (more on that later)



----------------------------------------------------------------------





Title: 300
Author: Frank Miller (writer/artist), Lynn Varley (Colorist)

Synopsis:
A dramatization of the legendary Battle of Thermopylae, where Spartan King Leonidas and his 300-man bodyguard met the massive army of Emperor Xerxes of Persia

What I Liked:

  • The artwork is brilliant. Very cool.
  • The writing is also damn good.
  • King Leonidas is damn cool.
  • I like the way the Spartans speak in the book. Curtly, arrogantly, like they don't wanna waste any breathe on any extra words
  • The Spartans are awesome
  • THIS. IS. SPARTA!

What I Didn't Like:

  • For RM100++, you'd expect something longer lor...
  • Blasted book is oversized and doesn't fit in with all my other graphic novels...
  • Traitors! Boo! I hate Traitors!


Summary:

300 is an awesome book. The way it's told by Miller, you get a good sense of what happened at that battle, with all that great art, some dramatisation, lots of blood and violence, cool one-liners

Sin City in Ancient Greece it ain't, but reading this will had me wanting to learn more about the Spartans.

It's too short though. That's all I can complain about.

Now bring on the movie....

No comments: