Wednesday, 31 January 2007

The Perfect Eyeris Bookstore

Personally, a perfect bookstore to me would have the following:

  • Friendly staff
  • Friendly staff who actually KNOW what their store is selling
  • Friendly staff who know what they are selling and won't ask me "Who's Terry Pratchett?"
  • A graphics novel / comics section
  • A graphics novel / comics section that has more than just Star Wars, Superman, Spiderman and Batman comics
  • Books that are not wrapped up
  • Idiot detectors at the door to filter out idiots who have a tendency to destroy the books that are not wrapped up by either creasing the books, leaving them on the floor, drawing in them, or even tearing the pages out
  • Nice, carpeted floors and lots of cosy sofas or benches to sit on and rest/read
  • A nice, comprehensive Fantasy and Science Fiction section
  • A nice, comprehensive Fantasy and Science Fiction section that is lumped together under one 'Science Fiction' or "Science Fiction / Fantasy" section (I like my Pratchetts to be seperated from my Asimovs and Dirks please)
  • A nice, comprehensive Fantasy and Science Fiction section with more than just Dragonlance/ Wheel of Time/ Forgotten Realms and LOTR.
  • Bookshelves that are not too high
  • Bookshelves that don't give me a crick in my neck while trying to browse.
  • Nicely categorised bookshelves
  • Not too much dust
  • A good reservation/ information counter and system
  • A nice coffee place to hang out and read
  • A nice coffee place to hang out and read that isn't Starbucks
  • No CD section blaring out songs that I don't necessarily want to listen to while I'm reading
  • Some designated 'librarians' (or should I call them bookstorians?) to patrol the store and shush people talking LOUDLY on their mobile phones, stop people from just simply unwrapping the books, remind parents to tell their kids to treat boks with respect and not throw them on the floor after reading, and to make sure that a copy of the Kamasutra for the Kinky Lover doesn't not find its way to the Children's section.
  • A good magazine section with the latest issues of magazines AND back issues as well.

Will add more when I think of more. :D

So, tell me, what would YOUR perfect bookstore have?

No comments: