Saturday, 21 April 2007

Book Review: The Good Fairies of New York (Martin Millar)

I need to get my mind off a number of things, AND blow off some stress at the same time, so I'll probably be slightly more prolific here in the next few days. Not a bad thing, considering I have hardly been very regular with updates lately, right?

Anyway, it's the Weekend. Another book review coming up. And maybe later, I'll post my SPIDER-MAN 3 Not-A-Review. (yes, I've watched it. GYAHAHAHA!)

------------------------------------------------------



Title: The Good Fairies of New York
Author: Martin Millar

Synopsis (from Amazon.com):
The Good Fairies of New York tells the fish-out-of-water story of two Scottish thistle fairies who find themselves in Manhattan. The fairies hook up with two humans, Kerry (complete with colostomy bag) and Dinnie (antisocial in the extreme), finding time to help both get their acts together. A book that brings together race riots and Scottish folklore, The Good Fairies of New York is anything but a typical fairy fantasy.

What I liked:
  • Pretty damn funny
  • Pretty trippy too
  • Easy to read and not confusing
  • The Ramones!
  • I liked that even fairies have different nationalities and each one has different characteristics
  • The fairies are hilarious, especially the two main ones (who were inspired by the Ramones to start a Fairy punk rock band)

What I didn't like:
  • Some parts felt like Miller was just throwing in something jsut to keep the story going
  • But other than that, nothing much I didn't like though I would have preferred a much neater tying up of the loose ends in the end though...

Summary:
To tell the truth, I bought this book on impulse because of three things:

1) I liked the cover (Who says you can't buy a book by its cover eh?)
2) I thought the title was interesting
3) There was an introduction by Neil Gaiman (So I'm a sucker, sue me)

Anyway, I don't regret buying this at all. It was one heck of an entertaining book, with interesting characters, some interesting plots going about the whole thing, and a lot of fairies flying around wrecking havoc. What's not to like?

Miller's writing is very simple and catchy as well, and I practically breezed through the whole thing without once scratching my head in confusion as I'm wont to do with many of Gaiman's books (which is hardly a bad thing, seriously, but still gives me a headache nonetheless).

I really liekd the way he just let the whole thing go on this whole roller coaster ride, throwing in new elements all the time, and mixing it all up to make one rip-roaring adventure that sometimes doesn't make sense but then, that's fantasy comedy for you.

It's a damn fun book to read, especially if you've always thought that fairies were always a little goody-two-shoes for your liking. Here, the fairies play The Ramones, want to start a punk rock band and their king wants to force them all to work in sweatshops. It ain't no wishy-washy Enid Blyton fairytale, this, but it's still one heck of a trippy fun read.

No comments: