Thursday, 10 May 2007

Trippy Montreal, Are You The Addictor?

Came back from work last night and saw these on the table:



They're finally here! My sister is back for a visit, and she got me these two CDs all the way from the US of A... WHEE!!! I'll talk about the Arcade Fire CD later (that's the one on the right, BTW). For now, I'd like to talk about the OTHER CD.

Looky looky, see how pwetty it is when you open it:



Pweeety Pweety colours! Flowers! Eeeee! Whee!!!!

Okok, I'm creeping myself out.

Oh, what CD is it? It's Of Montreal's HISSING FAUNA, ARE YOU THE DESTROYER.

Yeah, that's the title of the album. Damned if I know what it means.

Anyway, This CD is one of my favorite albums so far this year. Despite the fact that I can probably name only three songs from the twelve songs on the album without looking at the songlist, even though I've been listening to it for more than a month now. Why? Well, see for yourself. Here''s the songlist:
  1. Suffer For Fashion
  2. Sink The Seine
  3. Cato As A Pun
  4. Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
  5. Gronlandic Edit
  6. A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsv
  7. The Past Is A Grotesque Animal
  8. Bunny Ain't No Kind Of Rider
  9. Faberge Falls For Shuggie
  10. Labyrinthian Pomp
  11. She's A Rejector
  12. We Were Born The Mutants Again With Leafling
I ask you lah, HOW THE HELL do you remember titles like that? At least those blasted Fall Out Boy and Panic kids used kindergarden language even though their long titles were still damn stupid.

And what the hell's a Shuggie anyway?

Anyway, I love this album. Even though I've never used to listen to this kind of music before. It's... weird. The music is trippy, the lyrics are complicated (and bomcastic), and the tunes are cheerful and oh so annoyingly yet addictively catchy.

So catchy in fact, that you'd catch yourself humming/singing/whistling the songs (or rather the tunes) unconciously, and then you'll start wondering what song that is. And the nwhen you realise that it's from Of Montreal, you'll start wondering what the heck the song TITLE is, because almost every single song has a signature hook/tune that just sticks in your head and won't let go (and also because the song titles are bloody hard to remember).

Now, all the songs are pretty darn good, but my personal favorites are Suffer for Fashion (that line 'Vicissitudes are boxing our heads!' is a blast to recite), Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse (I'm in a crisis, I need help, Come on mood shift shift back to good again) and that LOOOOOOONG and REPETITIVE but still damn ADDICTIVE The Past is a Grotesque Animal.

Now, time to go look for more Of Montreal songs.... :D

No comments: