Tuesday, 8 May 2007

Will You Wilco Too?



My iPod is currently filled to the brim with Wilco songs (ok, maybe not exactly to the brim. I only have 60 of their songs anyway). Now, I first heard of Wilco from someone's blog, but never really bothered checking them out until recently, thanks to the release of their newest album, Sky Blue Sky.

However, due to the fact that I've not really had the time to sit down and analyse the songs in Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (since I only just er... acquired the albums), but I've had A Ghost is Born for some time now, and been listening to Sky Blue Sky on loop lately, so I'll talk about those two. Ok, maybe just Sky Blue Sky. (Sorry, my lazy bug has just kicked in).

But then again, since I usually tend to pinpoint certain songs rather than take an album as a whole, I shall now talk about the songs in the albums that I like.

First up, Impossible Germany. I really like this song, especially the guitar solo at the end. It's just so cool. Not in the mind-searing screech screech ziewziewzingzing way that a lot of the guitar solos I like are, but in a very understated, calm, zen-like way. And the line "Impossible Germany, unlikely Japan" is just so catchy that I don't even care what the hell it means.

Then there's Sky Blue Sky, the song. It's soft, touching, smooth and just so soothing. I can't help bobbing my head softly to it everytime I hear it. It's a good song to listen to when you're in need of something to listen to that won't give you a headache, and yet bring a smile to your face. But that's just me.

Other notable songs? the first track - Either Way (I like the vocals here. Very clear and crisp), What Light (damn catchy chorus I tell you, never fails to get me singing along) and Hate it Here (nice little jazzy vibe to it).

All in all, this is not exactly a modern rock album per se. It's got a very jazzy, bluesy, folkish, country vibe to it. It's a nice album to relax to, and is actually quite far away from the music I usually listen to, yet it made me listen to it over and over again. And that's no mean feat I tell you.

Oh, and I can't get enough of Spiders (Kidsmoke) from A Ghost is Born, even though it's ten minutes long. Brilliant ending solo (more on super-long songs I like in a later post).

There, I've now Wilcoed. Won't You Wilco too?

No comments: